Reef Discussion

Fragalicious

Oct 23, 2013
Sunbury
Santa Monica Algae Turf Scrubbers
Hi Everyone :)
For those of you who aren't aware, we here are Fragalicious are the proud exclusive distributors for Santa Monica Filtration's popular SURF and HOG models of Algae Turf Scrubbers :D

We carry most of their range at all times, and all other models can be ordered in with approx 2wk turn around time.

Given the state of the Dollar and excessive shipping fees, we're pleased to say that you'll find it CHEAPER to purchase from us here in Australia than directly from the source :D (Most customers who have unknowingly purchased directly have been stoked to learn that not only can we get it to them sooner, but that they get a refund for the difference, too! :) )

We look forward to helping you :)
Bek

See our range HERE at Fragalicious :D

acdn2.bigcommerce.com_n_pktq5q_37uiy8_products_255_images_696_7f7f12377c4eaea4b7c3c5d8c7e2a95c.jpg

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I run one of these and quite like it. Getting similar results to a typical refugium I used to have that was about 6 times the size. I went to this product basically to buy myself some sump space back and couldn't be happier :)

ajkdark

Aug 17, 2014
May I ask about the voltages?

Do the require simply an AU plug or do they need a voltage converter?

Cheers

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
May I ask about the voltages?

Do the require simply an AU plug or do they need a voltage converter?

Cheers
The power supply is a standard AC/DC converter and looks to have a common Figure-8 connector. The website states that it comes with an Australian plug so there is nothing more for you to do, other than plugging it in :)

Nick_85

Sep 22, 2014
Hey guys im currently running a fuge in my 4x2x2 cade and im looking at freeing up that space for frags what size scrubber would you recommend?

Fragalicious

Oct 23, 2013
Sunbury
@ajkdark - As the boys have confirmed above, the units come in a far more finished format than Santa Monica's original photographs portrayed. They are professionally wired and come with Aussie plugs, so it's simply plug and play :D

Nick_85

Sep 22, 2014
Hi @Nick_85 :)
It's more about your feeding levels than your tank size.
How much do you feed each day?
Are you experiencing any nuisance algae issues?
No nuisance algae what so ever and feeding 2 cubes frozen per day and 3 algae sheets per week, growing quite a bit of macro though

Fragalicious

Oct 23, 2013
Sunbury
Judging by your description @Nick_85 it sounds like the HOG3 could be a good fit for you. It's designed for three cubes of food per day or/ one full sheet of nori per day. (I've tried to average out your algae sheets ;) )

http://www.fragalicious.com.au/dry-...-hog3/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0

The next step up from this capacity wise are the SURF models. The SURF2 is only suited to two cubes of food per day (or 20 square inches of nori), but it will fit more algae than the HOG units.

From there you have the SURF2x (still two cubes a day, but for people battling nutrient issues) and the SURF4 for four cubes a day.

Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense!! I've written it across the day, so it mightn't meld properly lol

RNGracias

Apr 6, 2013
I got the HOG1.x on tank running for 3 weeks, looks very promising, brown dust on glass has been reducing since adding the ATS.

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
Bought the surf2+ off Bek, absolutely love it! Would never run a system without a SantaMonica scrubber again!

Not to mention the service was fantastic!

It will be pride of place in my new Reefer 450 come end of the month!

Damo84

Apr 18, 2016
Hi,
I know this is an old thread, but is this submerged in the sump or is there some sort of pump that can bring the water up to it?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Which model are you referring to? Most either float on the waters surface (in sump or display) or hang onto the glass (like a mp40 power head)

Fragalicious

Oct 23, 2013
Sunbury
Hi,
I know this is an old thread, but is this submerged in the sump or is there some sort of pump that can bring the water up to it?
Hi @Damo84 :)
As Sam implied, there are TWO types of Santa Monica scrubbers: ones that float partially submerged on the surface of either your sump or display, and ones that are completely submerged and attach to the glass with magnets.
Both require AIR PUMPS to pump oxygen to the algae and flow, but otherwise they are sitting in the water so there is no need to pump the WATER to them.
Have a look on our website for more info:

www.fragalicious.com.au
There is a Santa Monica page under the "Dry Goods" tab up the top. You'll fid detailed write ups, descriptions, and photos :D

Feel free to message or email us for more info :)
Bek

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Sorry to bump an old thread but can you point out the pros and cons of the upflow v waterfall design above
I currently have Macro in my sump that is totally on top of my Nitrates but my PO4 creeps up and i have a PO4 Reactor but have noticed some Alk precipitation and read that the PO4 media can cause this when running Kalk in my top up like i do.
Will these scrubbers get on top of PO4? I have read that they can.
It's not a huge PO4 count, had it at 0.04 with hanna ULR and now with out reactor running for 40 days it is 0.1
Interested in going down the scrubber path.

Cheers
Wazza