Reef Discussion

bryce214

Mar 12, 2012
Tooborac
Seachem Reef Phytoplankton
Has anyone used Seachem Reef Phytoplankton before, if so did you see any changes in your corals.

MavG

Nov 8, 2011
Newcastle
Im using it currently as part of my feeding mix, i mix 100ml of Aquasonic Seafood, 60mls of Seachem phyto, 50 mls of red sea amino acid (reef energy B) and 5-8 cubes of hikari rotifers (and sometimes some mysis shrimp) together and then make up to 500mls of water.

Since adding the phyto i have noticed the sun coral coming out faster, and some of the LPS seem to be exteneding more, the polyp extension on the SPS seems to be better as well.

So i have seen a slightly better response in feeding, i think it is definitely a good additive to be mixing in with other particulate foods when feeding corals, especially in an Ultra low nutrient system.

MavG

Nov 8, 2011
Newcastle
Best as part of a mixed solution, get a good particluate zooplankton diet like reef roids of Zoplan, and try out the frozen rotifers from hikari, i really rate them.

MavG

Nov 8, 2011
Newcastle
well yeah, any brand of frozen rotifers will do, if you looking for something else too beef it up the Aquasonic Seafood is a good all round particulate food, its not expensive, you do have to watch how much you feed as it can spike your phosphate a bit, but if your not heavily stocked then only a little bit will go a long way, if your in a Ultra Low nutrient state and your corals need it, especially if you have a heavy SPS or coral laod in general, then you will need more of everything but again, youll have to watch your nutrient.

Which of course all goes without saying, what im getting at is, variety is the key.

A good amino acid supplement will definitely also help as it will create a feeding response and generally get a lot more out of the food your feeding by helping the coral to not only take up more food (especially when broadcast feeding) but also to biologically utilize the food.

MavG

Nov 8, 2011
Newcastle
i have used Brightwell Coral Amino and Red sea reef energy B with success, i have also used some of the 100% reef safe aminos and they are also pretty good, makes your skimmer go nuts though!!!!!!

The seachem reef plus is also a good one if you dont have access to the others. Then after this you start to look inot vitamin C dosing, Mainre coral doseing and trace element doseing, they are msotly used in conjunction with each other, the vitamins especially because they are used at feed time.

longfish

Apr 24, 2012
Instant feeding responses in a lot of corals can be brought on by the smallest contact with half of a dissolving multi vitamin B tablet held with tongs. Try it