Tank Journal Archive

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
Second Update!
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v320_Azure_Dragon1990_Mobile_20Uploads_20141116_161813_zpsve8nmw7v.jpg

Hey guys!

So it's basically been a month since the last update. There was a few (okay, a lot of worries) back then that things would fail practically, but well I'm glad to say I wasn't wrong. :) The tank is still going strong.

So a few updates on regimes:
Water Changes: 2-3x per week, 10-15% each time.
Lighting: 4-10 hours per day, depending on if I am home or otherwise.
Feeding: Daily, 3-5 times, depending on if I am home or otherwise. Approximately 40-50 NLS Small Pellets + 3-4ml Aquavitro Fuel each time.
Cleaning: 1-2 times per week, just getting algae off the glass.
Testing: None at the moment.

Yeah, my coral food is practically completely gone:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v320_Azure_Dragon1990_Mobile_20Uploads_20141116_161953_zps72cdsqlr.jpg

Luckily I got ReefRoids off my colleague. He bought it for an experiment, but found out that it wasn't suitable. So now I'm going to use ReefRoids on this tank!

As for live stock, as expected, eventually two of the Clowns paired up and went all aggro on the third. The third wheel happens to be the Ocellaris Clown, so s/he's gone.

Did get a Citron Goby and a Royal Dottyback though. The Royal Dottyback used to hide away quite a bit, but not so much anymore.

So stock list as of right now:
-Regal Tang
-Clarkii Clownfish
-Cinnamon Clownfish
-Citron Goby
-Royal Dottyback.

All eating well as of a couple of days ago:
http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v320/Azure_Dragon1990/Mobile Uploads/20141101_092059_zpsqheomfzv.mp4

And now, still. :)

The Royal Dottyback and Citron Goby doesn't quite fit in the color and shape scheme, so I'm looking to replace them with something else. Not sure what yet.

Either way, my fiancee and I are going overseas for a month or so, so we're not in too much of a hurry. Chances are replacements won't be until after anyways.

Corals are doing great! Well, except for the favia or whatever it is, which is being stung by the hammer. >< And then covered by sand. Same goes for the Star Polyps, the Clowns dug underneath it, then proceeded to throw sand all over the Star Polyps.

Towards the back I have some fluffy morphs (and a leather). I didn't notice until a few days post purchase, but one of the morphs' mouth actually seemed to extend straight to the rock.

It never fed as well as the other morphs, but I kept up the feeding anyways. Eventually one day it decided to 'melt' downwards, leaving a trail of... baby morphs in its wake.

So now I have like... well, a lot of baby morphs.

This picture was taken the day after it really started melting:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v320_Azure_Dragon1990_Fluffies2_zps1dbc481a.jpg

Pretty cool, really! If you look in the picture you'll see three almost separate pieces. They're all separate now. :)

I'll have to board the corals and fish somewhere on holidays. When I'm back, I'll keep the morphs, hammers and perhaps the elegance. Along with the Clarkii Clown, Cinnamon Clown and Blue Tang. The rest of the stock will be changed. :)

I'll have my fiancee be the one to choose though, she's much better at aquascaping and coral placement than I am. :P I totally ruined the scape with my purchases. ><

Mar 12, 2014
Newcastle
Posted on the other post

no marine scientist you work with is worth their salt. You couldnt even ID a fish you used to do an experiment on witch in turn has made the work on that fish invalid.
Yes i do lab work ,Yes i do marine research, I am a research assistant in a big large scale long turn experiment so i have a fair idea what needs to go on.
sounds like you dont, if you took your tank to an ethics committee you would not be approved. Get a grip and take responsibility and do whats best for you animals in your care.
Its tools like you that causes our hobby to come under fire by other people.

Mar 1, 2014
That poor fish looks neurotic.
Maybe someone can help and save the current fish and select fish more suitable.

Did you say this was an experiment ??!

E

ezza

Dude. The tank isn't big enough for a Tang. Why don't you just get a marine keeping app? My daughter plays with one. She can put anything she wants in the one environment and no real creatures get hurt. You like games don't you chicken? ;)

bimbo

Oct 7, 2014
Newcastle
I am not entirely sure if you are just trying to bait people or really just don't know what you are doing. With that amount of bioload in a tank that small you NEED to be testing and testing regularly. By adding 'coral food' all you are doing is putting more strain on the system and IMO until you get into ULNS tanks and not required in a softy/lps tank. All they need are stable parameters, adequate lighting (get a time and have a set photo period for the fish and coral well being) and waste that is in the water.

For someone who is deaf to everyone's advice cause you think you know better wanting peer review papers on why keeping a blue tang in a nano is a bad idea you come across and very inexperienced and not very well read.

You really need to start taking on board the advice that is being offer here.

FYI I messaged Majestic Aquariums on facebook asking if is was ok to keep a few species of 'nemo', his mate dory and bubbles in a 36L tank and the answer was a definite NO, a pair of 'nemos' whould be fine but tangs get too big and suggested I come into the store and have a chat about suitable fish of check out their youtube channel for more information so that may be a place to start seem as though you work for them.

Reactions: MTG
Azendenkae it's quite clear you're providing an unsuitable environment for your fish, yet you seem to be fine with that. You don't appear to register any guilt over this kind of treatment towards creatures we share our planet with, creatures you're using for your own pleasure. Is it because you think they don't experience pain like humans do? Or do you not care about their suffering? We're all a bit confused about your thinking here.

On the scholarly side, perhaps your understanding of research could be sharpened a little. For example, you couldn't provide a peer-reviewed piece of research which would explicitly prove I shouldn't keep my son in an aquarium of the dimensions you're using. If you limit your understanding of the world and truth to peer-reviewed research you'll end up making many unethical decisions, simply because research can never be exhaustive.

Please, even if you don't understand why, return the fish and work out why we're concerned after you've done that. Take it as wisdom from a group of peers, and maybe you'll understand our position in the future.

Cokey

Jul 24, 2013
Please take advise off people, everyone bangs on about tang police but your tank is way too small. Time to pass him on

reece

Nov 30, 2013
You tank is crap. You are crap.

I hope you fail miserably, you are an idiot.

If there is a train coming, throw yourself in front of it.
If that's not a viable option stick a knife in a toaster.... but i suppose yiu wont see an issue with that either.

You are whats wrong with reefing.

E

ezza

This guy is just a narcissistic arrogant fool more interested in the attention he is getting, whether positive or negative, than any sharing of ideas.

Refusing point blank to improve your own knowledge, even if at some point you need to go back to square one because you're wrong directly contradicts the very nature of being a true scientist. Arrogance and science don't mix well. Realising that you are part of a universe much bigger than yourself and recognising that you cannot possibly ever hope to understand everything there is to know is fundamental to the development of your desire to grow in knowledge and love the labours of research. If this is not how you feel about being a "scientist", I'd suggest you find a job that suits you better. At 24 years old, you'd only have begun to work in the professional world assuming you actually have a degree and didn't just get handed a job by a friend or relative. You need to accept the reality that there are some very knowledgable professionals and hobbyists on this forum, and other forums. Of all places you should listen to the advice given, it is here.

I have no interest seeing you on this forum @Azedenkae . It's just unpleasant having someone behaving in such a petulant manner and being so stubborn and flat out refusing to listen. I don't think anyone here actually has an interest in seeing your tank while you treat people with such disdain and disrespect.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
@Azedenkae

Your a dead set wanker.... Shut down your tank and never start another fish tank again.

You clearly don't give a flying fuck about the animals and just want something pretty to look at.... Print a fucking picture and save the poor animals from suffering !

Notice I said fish tank earlier not reef tank....I wouldn't trust you to keep a goldfish alive let alone a sensitive animal like a coral !

Reactions: MTG

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You tank is crap. You are crap.

I hope you fail miserably, you are an idiot.

If there is a train coming, throw yourself in front of it.
If that's not a viable option stick a knife in a toaster.... but i suppose yiu wont see an issue with that either.

You are whats wrong with reefing.
When I get down to Australia, the first pint's on me mate.

Your tank is ENTIRELY too damn small, it's too small for an Ocellaris or Percula clown let alone 2 bruisers like Tomato or Clarki clowns. Then there's the tang, 4' MINIMUM for him. I will hold a tang in a 2' tank overnight, but the divider comes out the next day so they have room to move.

Grimz

Aug 7, 2014
Although new to 'reefing' I'm not new to the aquarium scene (13-14yrs) That video you posted is unbearably painful and cruel to watch, more so because you don't even seem to give two shits about the poor marine life in that small box....

Where abouts in NSW are you located? I'll happily purchase that Regal tang for double the amount you paid, PM me.

There has been a few people refer to 'Nemo' in of course 'Finding Nemo' and the only thing I can think of when refering to this movie in this ridiculous circumstance is this;

hqdefault.jpg

Please, do yourself and those poor fish a favor and take them back to your LFS - Especially the Regal Tang. Also, you should actually use that brain of yours (If it exists) and listen to the people on this forum, they have A LOT of knowledge to offer and have given you some sound advice which you should finally listen to.