Reef Discussion

Seneye, making things public
We have been using a Seneye for some time know on a tank.

Having put out an idea to the great guys at Seneye (we don't sell Seneye, just use it ;) ) that we wanted to know if we could make the data public.

So here it is...https://www.seneye.me/captivereef

On this tank we have played around with dosing, kalk, closed loop pumps etc. so I do not consider this to be typical data at the moment, but we though this is a great idea, even for those online stores selling livestock.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
I have seen adds for the Seneye gear and read initial revues from the UK a while back but wasn't sure how they rated vs the cost over here.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
I like the look of this, information on one screen. When they work out how to incorporate Alk, Cal, Mag, Phos, Nitrate, every tank would have this setup. Wishful thinking on my behalf tho lol. :)

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Me too, was only talking about this on wednesday at the LFS, about to come out with a wireless version... Ie back to the iphone etc

This a bit of an issue with the current version, needed to be connected to a pc. It can be powered by a usb power adapter, but then you have to unplug it and connect it to the pc to download (then upload to the server).

To have a small wifi 'box' that you can plug it into and auto download when I turn the pc on would be great.

Yes, you need to buy cards, but probes (pH in particular) need to be constantly calibrated, and replaced also. Yes, you run probes longer and they may lose accuracy, but I have run the cards longer too without any issues so far.

The cards in the Seneye need to be changed monthly. It wont stop working if you go over, but the unit will show a red light (to say you are past the 30 days) but the data is still collected and displayed just fine.

I suspect in due time things like the sms features will not work if you do not have a current card also.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Being the first of this type, I'm sure it will only get better. If the light measurements worked with LED I would grab one. The initial price is very good I think.
Can I ask .......
How have you found the light metering part of the system?
What are the ongoing costs to keep it all online?
Price of the cards each month?
:)

Cards are coming down in price at around $40-$50 for 3 months.

I haven't used the light meter with LEDS, but I will see if I can move it under my lights (ATI Power Module) during the week and get some current data.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Very cool. Looks like your fish are grumpy due to the low temperature though :p

As Ken says, when they can add Phos, Calc and Alk to this ... they would sell millions instantly.

It is pushing the low side of the temps isn't it :eek. It has been cold overnight here.

Yes, they are looking at bringing in cards for alk etc, these are single use cards for 'point' readings, not continuously monitored.

malau

Oct 13, 2011
If I want to do something like you what are the min. equipment/parts I have to get as I am a bit confused with their seneye+ thing.. I guess I have to get Seneye Reef right? But then what items it can monitor or I have to purchase the seneye+?

You just purchase a "Seneye Reef". This comes with 1 month subscription card (for online monitoring, SMS alerts etc). This is right to go straight out of the box.

The Seneye + is a packet of 3 cards (i.e. 3 months monitoring).

The reason you are purchasing cards each month is that with pH monitoring (just like any pH probe) they become inaccurate over time.

EmilZ

Aug 18, 2017
No, the unit will only store a small amount of data.

The software uploads all data to the web server for graphing etc.
Hi @captivereef ,

I'm a teacher in South Australia who has setup a 30 silver perch Aquaponics environment. We have just purchased SenEye Reef+ SWS equipment and I'm wondering how you made your data public
Could you get in touch with me via twitter @ezankov if you see this post:)

Cheers,

Emil