Tank Journal Archive

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
September Update
Hey all,

It’s been a while since I have updated my journal so here I am now.

So a few weeks ago I got rid of my zoas covered rock, They just weren’t responding to my tank and so I swapped them for a small grey/light green hammer which I am in love with and is going great.

As many of you might know, I have had problems with my kH (7), pH (7.6) and nitrates (~40ish). I am glad to say that the kH and pH are back to where I like them, that is kH – 12, pH 8.2.

With regards to the nitrate spike… Well I think it all started last Monday. I left the return pump of my filter off by accident after doing a water change… This meant that the water was not circulating past the heater and chances are the water cooled in the filter compartment of the tank and this has resulted in some die off of nitrate consuming bacteria resulting in decreased nitrate consumption and increased nitrate production. So I have changed half the volume of water in my tank over the past 3 days and they fish and corals seem a lot happier thankfully.

I have also been having a problem with my blue cespitularia. It just hasn’t opened its polyps in 3-4 weeks… It just hasn’t seemed happy. So I am thinking this was a result of the low kH and pH as well as the high nitrates. So I am looking to increase the flow on it and hopefully it will bask in that along with the improved water conditions and open its polyps once again.

And I have some good news, my duncan’s are growing a new head!

I have attached some photos for your viewing pleasure:

IMG_8081.JPG
IMG_8480.JPG
IMG_8606.JPG
IMG_8611.JPG

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Is that a dark red/maroon macro algae in the second photo Dean?

Also, in my experience with some zoas and other corals, they can take months to fully open it.

It's just a matter of time. Give them time Dean. Dean, time.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
That Sinularia-looking thing might grow quite big once it settles in and it will probably grow quickly.

I had to get rid of mine.

Also, hopefully your toadstool will get use to that Blenny and stay open when it sits on it. From memory, I think my toadstools got use to my Tiger Blenny doing the same thing.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Is that a dark red/maroon macro algae in the second photo Dean?

Also, in my experience with some zoas and other corals, they can take months to fully open it.

It's just a matter of time. Give them time Dean. Dean, time.
It is a red/maroon algae!

And these were opening a few months ago but they begun being weird!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Your tank is beautiful! Love the shot of the blenny :)

A picture speaks a thousand words, I have some comments about coral placement that could be why the Cespitularia is not extending its polyps. In my experience, leathers vary in how they get along with different species in the Xeniidae family. Sometimes having one in contact with the other is no problem, other times the Xenia irritates the Leather or vice versa. That could be what is happening here. Its looks like the Cespitularia is brushing against the Leather yes?

I have not kept Cespitularia myself so I can't tell you which coral is and isn't compatible with it, however I would suggest rearranging your corals.

Move the Hammers together. Move the Torches together. Monitor them to make sure they are getting along, they should in most cases. Give the Cespitularia its own space. Give the Leather its own space.

The other thing is that the change in colour you are seeing ie. the Cespitularia turning brown, is most likely due to the nitrate spike. The coral is increasing the population of zooxanthellae in its cells to compensate for the decrease in water quality so that it can continue to feed itself well via photosynthesis. The flesh on the coral is still looking very healthy and I think you have time to figure out what is bugging it.

Those brown Palythoa can be quite invasive also. Suggest removing them from the rock and replacing them with a faster growing, hardy Zoanthid such as Eagle Eyes. They are very pretty, particularly under blues.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Your tank is beautiful! Love the shot of the blenny :)

A picture speaks a thousand words, I have some comments about coral placement that could be why the Cespitularia is not extending its polyps. In my experience, leathers vary in how they get along with different species in the Xeniidae family. Sometimes having one in contact with the other is no problem, other times the Xenia irritates the Leather or vice versa. That could be what is happening here. Its looks like the Cespitularia is brushing against the Leather yes?

I have not kept Cespitularia myself so I can't tell you which coral is and isn't compatible with it, however I would suggest rearranging your corals.

Move the Hammers together. Move the Torches together. Monitor them to make sure they are getting along, they should in most cases. Give the Cespitularia its own space. Give the Leather its own space.

The other thing is that the change in colour you are seeing ie. the Cespitularia turning brown, is most likely due to the nitrate spike. The coral is increasing the population of zooxanthellae in its cells to compensate for the decrease in water quality so that it can continue to feed itself well via photosynthesis. The flesh on the coral is still looking very healthy and I think you have time to figure out what is bugging it.

Those brown Palythoa can be quite invasive also. Suggest removing them from the rock and replacing them with a faster growing, hardy Zoanthid such as Eagle Eyes. They are very pretty, particularly under blues.
Thanks for the detailed reply. However, nope the leather and the cespitularia are not touch. Although in the top-down photo I have above it would appear that way because I turn the power heads off in order to get a clear photo without the surface rippling. But I think I might to get a bit more flow on it. From my experience it LOVES moderate-high flow! So I'll see how it goes. But I will continue to ensure that it doesn't come in contact with any other corals.

I've often heard that corals tourn brown, as recently as yesterday infact, although I never knew it was for that reason, interesting - thanks!

Those palythoa came on the rocks, I hadn't give them much thought, but I'll be sure to keep a good eye on them! Thanks!

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
wow , That is one fluffy toadstool.
Can I ask why you choose run your ALK so high?
Haha yeah the toadstool is pretty damn happy. Shrinks down to no bigger than a 50 cent piece at night!

I haven't got a lot of experience in the hobby but I've found that things run smoother at a high kH for me. Particularly if I or my partner happens to get carried away an we over feed, it allows some buffering capabilities. I also find that the corals seems to extend more. Particularly the cespitularia when it's in a good mood.

But that's just my experience.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
That Cespitularia will reduce nitrates as well. I have one tank that I don't dose anything other than trace elements and it never has a phosphate or nitrate problem. It has a 20cm square patch of Cespitularia and Xenia.