Reef Discussion

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
What an awesome thread (both this one and the one on reefcentral that was linked).

Keep up the good work @Coralfarmer - I do hope to see some of your aqua cultured frags make their way to deer park soon :)

@Wrangy - Dom, you just keep pushing the good wagon bro, your conversation pieces are just what the hobby needs to keep interesting (as opposed to blurry ID photos of what people have taken from the local beach themselves or other frustrating facebook threads....)
Me too, I want the yellow one and plenty of the amazing a. spathulata to make their way down to deer park ;)

hahahahaha it's sad how true that is, it's mostly terrible terrible ID pics of pineapple sponges or crabs and the same questions. OR people who have NO IDEA and ask questions using the sell post :banghead I mean the discussion tab is right there! lol I have to come back here and rock in the foetal position for a little while to get my reefing sanity back!

A lot of the old hands have completely stopped posting on any of the groups! And across the thousands of people in all the groups I can count on both hands the amount of people I can actually have a discussion with without flares being fired and riots occurring! lol

It's part of the reason they're going a little stale as you can't have a serious thought provoking conversation anymore like this on them. I'm really glad everyone has joined in and I love what people are saying! We need more posts!! lol

And I believe this is the piece Dom was talking about, WOW
View attachment 52573
:cum:cum
That is all

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Wish me luck, I'm about to start another shit fight on FB! I'll post it here once I've written it up as it's a continuation of this theme!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Exact quote even though I know you guys don't need the heads up! lol
"Alright, so in continuation with my aquaculture theme, I have a new question to pose to people and I want some serious answers. Nothing on the collectors, no ruining lives, no beat downs, just simple answers on peoples opinions.
And please I'm fully aware the saturation on the frag pic has been turned up a little but those colours are achievable so I don't want any arguments about that. NO DERAILING! lol

Colony pic from Reef Corner and frag pic from Unique Corals, guys please let me know if it's not cool if I use your images!

If you had a choice between a fresh SSC (strawberry shortcake colony) from your LFS that was around the $60-80 mark with decent colours or a properly coloured frag that has been aquacultured in an enclosed system, is well encrusted and a decent size with a few small branches forming for $25-35, what would you choose?
I don't care about the answer I want to know people's thoughts and I'd love some reasoning behind why too, not just A or B!"
Acropora-microclados-Strawberry-Shortcake-Colony-12-Closeup.jpg
image.jpeg

Coralfarmer

Jul 20, 2015
Everybody is going nuts for that "little yellow frag" Dave will get some soon i think he has plans to stock quite a lot in the coming months so tic tac with him about it....

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Everybody is going nuts for that "little yellow frag" Dave will get some soon i think he has plans to stock quite a lot in the coming months so tic tac with him about it....
Unsurprising lol tell him to hurry up then lol he keeps telling me about them as well!

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Mmmmm yellow bits

Love this topic!
For my needs @Wrangy I'd go B, the aquaculterd frag. The fact that it's tank hardened and not taken from the reef would sway my decision. But I totally understand if someone buys the larger wild colony, Especially in a large tank the small frag could take years to get to a size the purchaser wants.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Perhaps the biggest barrier to aquaculture in Australia is the price of wild colony's.
In Aus the price difference between wild colony's and aquacultuerd frags really isn't that much so there's not much incentive to buy the smaller frag.
In the U.S they pay through their arse for a small frag let alone a colony. Price being a bigger factor they buy the frags.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Dave does one thing that I haven't seen other stores do which makes wild colony's an even more attractive option.

He allows the fragging/splitting of SPS in store. I often end up splitting 3 or 4 pieces with other reefers. You end up with a few frags for the price of one colony. Kind of spreads the risk a bit with wild colony's and makes it just too damned affordable to go home with a variety of colours.

Anyway, I'm getting off track and will be told off by Dom! Bring on the aqua cultured goodness!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Perhaps the biggest barrier to aquaculture in Australia is the price of wild colony's.
In Aus the price difference between wild colony's and aquacultuerd frags really isn't that much so there's not much incentive to buy the smaller frag.
In the U.S they pay through their arse for a small frag let alone a colony. Price being a bigger factor they buy the frags.
This is the biggest factor of success in the US but it's also to do with the way the hobby evolved over there too! I think it's also going to be one of the larger influences here too!

Dave does one thing that I haven't seen other stores do which makes wild colony's an even more attractive option.

He allows the fragging/splitting of SPS in store. I often end up splitting 3 or 4 pieces with other reefers. You end up with a few frags for the price of one colony. Kind of spreads the risk a bit with wild colony's and makes it just too damned affordable to go home with a variety of colours.

Anyway, I'm getting off track and will be told off by Dom! Bring on the aqua cultured goodness!
Dave has the unfair advantage of doing everything right though :P I love the man hahaha @Deerpark Aquarium lets see if he'll blush! :rofl

Being able to frag pieces in store definitely changes the game though! Then again given the stock he's getting in I'd happily pay colony prices for frags! lol

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
Geraldton TAFE ,in WA, had 6 or 7 species of fish breeding and selling thru to stores in WA (clowns, dottybacks, bangais etc) but unless you do the "fad morphs" of clowns the monetary rewards aren't there.
Interesting, such a shame if thats the case.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I think people prefer cultured stuff and frags when it comes to SPS.

I remember having a SSC colony that I had grown from about tennis ball sized to the sized of a small plate. When I was shutting the tank down I had to get rid of it and I thought I deserved $100 for my efforts. Two weeks on you could hear the tumble weeds blowing past the ad.

I relisted it for $50. and after a week I get one reply of someone asking if I will do a small frag of it for $20. Im thinking shit, you can buy the whole thing for $50 but you will pay me $20 for one stick ok.

So I do my normal trick of trying to cut a single stick off with side cutters and smashing the entire colony doing so and decided to mount them all up on frag plugs and wait a could of weeks for them to encrust.

I put a new add up for the frags at $20 each and they sold like hot cakes, people where buying two to three at a time and within a week Id made over $500 off that colony.

The mentality to this day still baffles me that so many people will buy three sticks frags of SPS for more than a full sized colony?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
The mentality to this day still baffles me that so many people will buy three sticks frags of SPS for more than a full sized colony?
In my case I prefer frags because I feel like its "cheating" just to chuck a whole colony in my tank. It is much more satisfying to grow out a frag :)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Aquacultured frags don't come with acro crabs :p
I wonder how hard they are to spawn... :rolleyes cultured frags with their own inhabitants!

@NiCd it is a strange mentality but I do agree with Luke about the satisfaction of growing them out and the work and love you put in to see the rewards! Hell I get excited when a zoa frag drops a new polyp haha

I think it's the large initial outlay that does kill interest though, which would be an issue if you were a small business and had a minimum order going so you weren't sending single frags at a time! lol

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I know, I can still tell you how many polyps are on my rastas, kill shots, hornets etc but if you told me I had the option of buying a single polyp for $150 or a colony for $300 i can tell you id take the colony

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I know, I can still tell you how many polyps are on my rastas, kill shots, hornets etc but if you told me I had the option of buying a single polyp for $150 or a colony for $300 i can tell you id take the colony
Value and smarts wise I would hands down go the colony every time but sometimes the cash flow isn't quite there so I might still opt for the single polyp if I was after that particular coral for long enough!

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
This is the biggest factor of success in the US but it's also to do with the way the hobby evolved over there too! I think it's also going to be one of the larger influences here too!
Would be awesome if Aus could evolve in a similar way with big frag meets and events, hobbyists and local businesses could attend and sell/trade frags, equipment and talk about everything related. Sadly I don't think we'll see it. Just not enough hobbyists. Maybe in the eastern states it could happen.