Off-Topic

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
That time of the year for the sheep to have a haircut :)

Before
Sheep-Before.jpg

After
Sheep-Aftert.jpg

They might not have liked it at the time, but they now appreciate it with all the hot weather we have been having.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Nice shots of the bandicoot! All we have here is mynah birds and a large bluetongue that comes to the door now and then, lol been tempted to let it in and see what it wants.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Vicki called out to me this morning because there was a 'strange' looking bird sitting in a tree.

Grabbed the camera (remembering to change over the lens on the way as I guessed the macro lens was not going to work ;)) and found this:

Goshawk-1.jpg

From what I can tell it is a Grey Goshawk (Accipiter novaehollandiae) - there are two colour morphs, the grey and the white although only the white morph is found in Tasmania. It is "uncommon to rare' in Tasmania and is considered a 'threatened' species so it was a privilege to see this on my property. From the colour of the eyes this is a young one (the eyes turn from yellow/teal to orange and then red as the bird matures) and has probably been out searching for a territory - or eying off the many rabbits we have around at the moment. This is also the only pure white bird of prey to be found anywhere in the world.

Goshawk-3.jpg

Goshawk-4.jpg

Goshawk-2.jpg

:)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
They turned out OK - I couldn't get as close as I wanted too because it would just fly off to another tree. As it was I followed it through 3 trees before it flew off somewhere else.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It doesn't seem like a year since I posted up some new photo's :eek

I think the Royal Gramma has to be one of the most beautiful fish available in this hobby - they also have a few sharp little teeth :)

Royal-Gramma-1.jpg

Royal-Gramma.jpg

Enjoy :)

Nick.C

Jan 10, 2013
Warwick SE/QLD
if you want to get in further and make it even better and amazing shots, purchase an Extension Tube, if you already don't have one? make sure u get the automatic one. man they are amazing. it's like Macro on top of Macro :P

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It's been a while since I posted up some pictures :eek

Tonight was my first attempt at taking some pictures of the Aurora australis - it was a warm night, albeit a bit windy, and whilst the Aurora was not very strong, and wasn't visible to the naked eye, I was able to get a few decent photo's.

Aurora1.jpg

Now that I have some idea what I am doing, I can't wait for the next geomagnetic storm.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
There is some very good aurora activity tonight, quite a bit better than last Friday night - if I didn't have to go to work tomorrow I would have gone for a drive.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I want to see the auroras one day. Very jealous!
You might be surprised, but the night I went you couldn't actually see the aurora with your eye's - it was not bright enough!! The photo shown above was taken with a 20 second exposure. Aurora's are measured by a Kp index from 0 to 9. In Tasmania it needs to be around Kp 5 to be visible - the night I went it was around 3.5.

To be visible in Victoria it needs to be around Kp 7.