Reef Discussion

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
yeah they are, the lady in NT who is breeding all of the blue squoms is also in the process of doing maximas and croceas. It will be very interesting to see what varieties come out then

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
i was in that store last week and picked up one of those clams, will post up some pics tonight

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
ive yet to see a brown crocea so im pretty keen to see these start coming through as well!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Nice clams everyone.My new little guy.
aimg.tapatalk.com_31b06305_24cb_3a92.jpg

Sent from someone who tries to care.
I might be mistaken but it looks like this little clam is bring held up above the substrate by that coral (acro is it ?) is that a good thing to do ?

Then again it might just be the "angle of the dangle" that is throwing me off (way the pic is taken) but too me it looks as though that coral is holding it up.

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
I might be mistaken but it looks like this little clam is bring held up above the substrate by that coral (acro is it ?) is that a good thing to do ?

Then again it might just be the "angle of the dangle" that is throwing me off (way the pic is taken) but too me it looks as though that coral is holding it up.
Yes its a piece of coral but its a dead piece,thought it would make a nice stand.I'm not really worried about it bonding to it.

Sent from someone who tries to care.

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
i going to make a bold statement and say I have the best clam collection in Aus. Here are some of them, have another 5 without pictures yet, and they are all similar quality as these.
ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_IMG_0293_1.jpg

ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_clam1.jpg

ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_IMG_0289_1.jpg

ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_7.jpg

ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_15.jpg

ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_6.jpg

ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_clam_3.jpg

ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_clam1_2.jpg

ai95.photobucket.com_albums_l160_itzmatty_newclam5.jpg

ai95.photobucket.com_albums_l160_itzmatty_newclam1.jpg

ai95.photobucket.com_albums_l160_itzmatty_amd_20bulbs_20sales_ultragradeclam.jpg

Attachments

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011

your clam is a squamossa its natual habiitat is sand

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Too my knowledge in order to get them to "GRIP" in sand you need to bury a piece of rock underneath them in the sand, not to deep just under the surface.

This is why I was confused when I saw the clam proped up

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
your clam is a squamossa its natual habiitat is sand
their "feet" will attach to the sand particles, you will notice all my clams (even the maxima and crocea's) are sitting in the sandbed. Ive had some for 3+ years, there is nothing underneath them but the sand.
Too my knowledge in order to get them to "GRIP" in sand you need to bury a piece of rock underneath them in the sand, not to deep just under the surface.

This is why I was confused when I saw the clam proped up
not true. plus if this was the case there is always the glass underneath your sand :cool:

Also they will move/adjust themselves on both sand and rock to find a position that suits their preferance.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I had my clam sitting in the sand and it moved about 6" over night and attached itself to the closet rock

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
I have 300mm depth of sand in my tank....no clam is going to attach to the bottom LOLOL so I placed a rock underneath it in the sand within 24hours it was stuck to that rock and never gonna let go! What makes this great is that I can move the clam anywhere I want since its footing is already attached to a small rock (palm size) which I just lift with it.

I was actually TOLD by others on the forums to place something rigid beneath the clam in the sand so it attaches to it and to NOT just let it sit bare (likely cause of the 300mm depth of my sand bed).