Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
once a day 1/2 a cube of red plankton, 3-4 pinches of grain 2 x week 1/2 brine shrimp, 1x week reef roids, 1/2 a sheet of nori a day for tangs
I just watched the man from BRS on you tube saying grain food adders more nitrates then frozen, what do you think??

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Funny you say that Nils, I have 4 in high flow areas and 1 in a low flow, guess which one I always forget to shake, lol.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
What chamber in the sump does everyone put this stuff? (I've now got a sump with a bit more room then before) previously I had it sitting in my weir

Basic sump with 3 chambers, entry chamber (not sure if i want to run filter socks or not yet) middle chamber for skimmer but still running a HOB till I can order a new skimmer then final return chamber

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I just put it where it fits, which happened to be the return chamber.
I think it works better after the skimmer so not as much crap gets caught in the matrix.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Will go for the return chamber then :) should work with the shaking releasing stuff the corals like best there as well?

At the moment its up in the display till i sort my plumbing :(

mako61

Mar 21, 2017
Im returning to reefing after a 10+ year break (kids) Im setting up a 525 liter reef tank.

I just purchased 15 liters of Siporax 25mm pond rings. I see people talking about Siporax pro is this the same stuff?

Also i plan to put this in my sump. I have space in the skimmer area or in the return pump chamber. I currently plan to just put it in by the skimmer that has alot more room and a little lower flow. Im making some little boxes out of egg crate to hold them. I plan to make 3 so i can place them easier and shake / clean 30% at a time. I plan to stack the rings because im a bit ocd ... Anything I could do better ?

FYI -- The Siporax I got has around 208 25mm rings per 5 liter bag.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
About 90% sure it's the same stuff just yours is 25mm rings instead of 15mm

I just put mine in where ever it fits and that seems to be the thinking of most people on here :)

I dunno what effect it would have but doesn't the de nitrifying bacteria live in low oxygen zones so maybe by the skimmer isn't best, I'd wait for someone who knows more to confirm though

I just ordered another 2ltr of the stuff now that I've got a bit more room as well

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
hey just wondering how many bags of Siporax people are using? i have 3 bags in my sump and just ordered another 2 so 5 liters in totatl for my sps system of just under 200 liters