Reef Discussion

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Ok - 20 hours later from my last phos test kit photo. With one cube frozen brine shrimp one hour ago and small pinch of food this morning.
:cum
image.jpeg

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
If you don't have the world's fattest fish in 6 months time I'll be disappointed :P
Looks like everyone has settled in brilliantly!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
If you don't have the world's fattest fish in 6 months time I'll be disappointed :p
Looks like everyone has settled in brilliantly!
Hahaha, my auto feeder I bought from Dave is getting a work out.

Plan to mount those bigger SPS pieces I got from Deer park soon .
Oh and clean the glass etc etc

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You guys don't care how the hell you spend my money do you? :p I've been looking at this for some time, I have 6l of Matrix in one of the home fish QT systems and there's not a hell of a lot of algae in there. I'm going to look for a larger quantity of Siporax. I saw on Amazon USA that there's a 50 litre box. You might want to talk to Sera or Dave at Deer Park directly about getting one that size and dividing it up.

https://www.amazon.com/Siporax-Filt...e=UTF8&qid=1473601173&sr=8-5&keywords=siporax

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Well, the pagoda belongs in fresh water scape. For now it lives in the garden , bring on the flat live rock.
What is the country of origin of the live rock Nils? If you say Australia, I'm coming down to take all your live rock. :D All we get here is shitty saw cut Fiji rock, I miss the good ole days of Florida rock, those dead chunks of Elkhorn coral were perfect for reef tanks.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
What is the country of origin of the live rock Nils? If you say Australia, I'm coming down to take all your live rock. :D All we get here is shitty saw cut Fiji rock, I miss the good ole days of Florida rock, those dead chunks of Elkhorn coral were perfect for reef tanks.
My liverock came from the waters off Western Australia - fan worms still alive after four months. Few hitchhiking zoas lurking around and full of life when the lights go out.hahaha!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
BRB, going shopping in Nils tank, lol. :D I'd LOVE to get a box of raw, fresh collected Aussie live rock for my own tank. Fiji air freighted rock is about $8/kg and Indo is $5.50/kg.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
What about making some egg crate boxes to deploy this stuff to make the detritus fall through if you stack them on end? Put a small spray bar in there to give a gentle flow, keep the bar underwater to keep spray to a minimum.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
I just put some of this in my tank last night - the 15mm type

It came with the bacteria starter for freshwater aquarium (which I assumed wasn't reef safe)

Is there any recommendation to kick off the bacteria growth a bit quicker than waiting the 3 months?

Tank is currently reading at 0-very low nitrate and phosphate (only have the API Test kits for this though) but the GHA is starting to make a come back, it's only on one rock at the moment but its starting to pop up at a few other spots now so something is going on

I'll take some pictures now and try post any results around Christmas, in case anyone is interested on the effects on a newer tank

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I just put some of this in my tank last night - the 15mm type

It came with the bacteria starter for freshwater aquarium (which I assumed wasn't reef safe)

Is there any recommendation to kick off the bacteria growth a bit quicker than waiting the 3 months?

Tank is currently reading at 0-very low nitrate and phosphate (only have the API Test kits for this though) but the GHA is starting to make a come back, it's only on one rock at the moment but its starting to pop up at a few other spots now so something is going on

I'll take some pictures now and try post any results around Christmas, in case anyone is interested on the effects on a newer tank
I used Aquaforest's bacteria to kick mine off. It's only been in the tank a week, but the algae on the glass isn't coming back as fast.

I have started to keep track of my results and as yet has not seen anything. My Siporax went in on 7/9/16. At the time I had a small amount of all in one as well as a handful of NPX running in a JNS reactor. That with dosing 1 or 2ml of lanthium chloride. mixed 10/1000ml RO

Main reason for going to Siporax is because I see the logic in greater surface area and a stronger tank, second reason is because I'd like to move away from pellets and beads. I will post up what I have seen once things start happening around December, if it does in fact take three months to kick in. By then I am hoping to have used up all the duel pellets and will no longer need any NPX. My nitrates are hanging around 20 right now and Phophates at .09, I think my Phos went up due to the decreasing amount of all in one pellets. I increased the lanthium dose to 5ml and have seen a reduction in Phos again.

It's probably going to be a bit up and down with the phos but the Nitrates will be my true indication. Its been steady and once it drops I'd know the Siporax has kicked in.

It makes perfect sense and I'm excited to see the turn. I'm planning less rocks in my next tank or if not less that the tank itself will be bigger so overall... and the siporax will help with stability.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Feed it to the lions, feed it to the lions!!!

I almost had a meltdown last night...as you may or may not know I have had my tank on an auto feeder for a month, I have also been feeding more frozen as well as dosing no3 and Po4

Last night I tested my nitrate and phosphate :eek at 8pm

NO3 35ppm
PO4 0.18ppm
:cry:dead:rage

I decided to move the auto feeder into the kitchen overnight as this for me was catastrophic......

Guess what , it's 11am my nitrates are 2ppm and my phosphate is 0.00

:):):):):):cum

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Theres a thread on RC about it , seems like a few SPS guru are buzzing about it. @Wrangy - please tell me more as you mentioned you are heading in this direction.
Cheers!
Theres a thread on RC about it , seems like a few SPS guru are buzzing about it. @Wrangy - please tell me more as you mentioned you are heading in this direction.
Cheers!
can this help my tank, if so how much should i add?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Feed it to the lions, feed it to the lions!!!

I almost had a meltdown last night...as you may or may not know I have had my tank on an auto feeder for a month, I have also been feeding more frozen as well as dosing no3 and Po4

Last night I tested my nitrate and phosphate :eek at 8pm

NO3 35ppm
PO4 0.18ppm
:cry:dead:rage

I decided to move the auto feeder into the kitchen overnight as this for me was catastrophic......

Guess what , it's 11am my nitrates are 2ppm and my phosphate is 0.00

:):):):):):cum
I need more fish ,hahaha!
Just fed the tank a full cube of lobster eggs.
And dosed 2ml nitrate and 2ml phosphate.
Auto feeder back on the tank.