Reef Discussion

desi_reefer

Jan 12, 2017
Nitrates have dropped down to ~0.25. It actually looks barely above zero on my Red Sea pro kit.

Hey,

Long story short. I'm a new reefer, been in the hobby for about 7-8 months. I have a 200L system. In the past I dosed NOPOX, recently transitioned to NP Pro, struggled to get rid of cyano/brown algae. Finally did. Now nitrates are high up at 25-40ppm and phos at 0.15-0.20.

I did not run filter sock and had 1 big block of marine pure and some algae in first section of the sump (this is where water comes in - I know bad idea, its all about experimentation, was only creating some flow to prevent detritus settling in that section). Next was skimmer and then had my vectra. In skimmer area I put another thin MP block and in the return section I had about 10 marine pure cubes.

Recently I was looking for siporax or matrix but I was advised to run denitrate from seachem. Three weeks now running that also running aquaforest fluidized reactor with zeomix, carbon and phos minus. I have also removed the refugium and cleaned the sump thoroughly.

Should I still patiently wait? You reckon it would take a little longer for bacteria to colonize the marine pure blocks? or are they just clogged?

SPS now slowly got back the polyp extenstion after gravel vacs and water changes. But LPS doesn't seem to like, especially the hammers dont extend and when I just touch the polyps bail out of the skeleton (is there any underlying issue), Gonis are doing fantastic though.

During all this the skimmer broke, its a red star fish skimmer with Jebao DC-3000 pump. Got a replacement pump which lasted 2 weeks broke again. How reliable are these?

Well, should I buy more siporax to lower nitrates and phosphates or just wait for a couple of months and sort the skimmer out first?

Please advise guys. Thanks.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I am far from an expert but it sounds like you have a lot going on there. Maybe just try sticking with one method for a while and see how it goes? Either the matrix or siporax. Sometimes it can take a month or two to suck all the phos out of the rocks.

desi_reefer

Jan 12, 2017
I am far from an expert but it sounds like you have a lot going on there. Maybe just try sticking with one method for a while and see how it goes? Either the matrix or siporax. Sometimes it can take a month or two to suck all the phos out of the rocks.
Thanks folks.
I understand, all the drama started when I was running out of NOPOX and went back to the fish store to buy NOPOX. I was recommended NP PRO and said it would work out to be cheaper. And ao I purchased a 2 liter can. Since then determined to stick to it and spent so much.

Thanks for advice.

Do I really need to bin Marine pure? Can i not use them together with siporax?

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
You can use as many types of surface media as you wish. However, as a matter of personal preference, I tend to stick to simplicity, which in this case means one media at the time.
IMO, doing one thing at the time and being patient helps identify what is working and what is not.
For example, if you mix multiple surface media, such as MP and Siporax and Nitrates remain high, which media would you blame? What wold you change now that you have two options?

desi_reefer

Jan 12, 2017
You can use as many types of surface media as you wish. However, as a matter of personal preference, I tend to stick to simplicity, which in this case means one media at the time.
IMO, doing one thing at the time and being patient helps identify what is working and what is not.
For example, if you mix multiple surface media, such as MP and Siporax and Nitrates remain high, which media would you blame? What wold you change now that you have two options?
Thanks man.

Today I removed all the Mp from the sump. When I was pulling them out a lot of fine dust flew out of it, is this detritus trapped inside? When I shook it in water it shed out a tonn of that dusty stuff and the water instantly turned all merky. What could that be? I did not have skimmer working for a week though.

I did add some aquaforest life bio fil today. Skimmer back up and running.

Ordered 3 liters of siporax which I will add to the sump most probably the coming week and will order 2 more liters soon.

A fresh start lets see how we go!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Thanks man.

Today I removed all the Mp from the sump. When I was pulling them out a lot of fine dust flew out of it, is this detritus trapped inside? When I shook it in water it shed out a tonn of that dusty stuff and the water instantly turned all merky. What could that be? I did not have skimmer working for a week though.

I did add some aquaforest life bio fil today. Skimmer back up and running.

Ordered 3 liters of siporax which I will add to the sump most probably the coming week and will order 2 more liters soon.

A fresh start lets see how we go!
Hope you left some old live bacteria media behind to seed your new siporax.

desi_reefer

Jan 12, 2017
Which ever you choose, shake it twice a week to make it shed the outer layer of bacteria and detritus. Your corals will LOVE it.
What exactly u mean corals will love it? Do they love the detritus? Or do i news ro siphon it out?
Hope you left some old live bacteria media behind to seed your new siporax.
yeah I have added some LIFE BIO FIL from aquaforest until the siporax arrives. I need to buy eggcrtes and make up a box to put the siporax in.

Thanks all

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
What exactly u mean corals will love it? Do they love the detritus? Or do i news ro siphon it out?

yeah I have added some LIFE BIO FIL from aquaforest until the siporax arrives. I need to buy eggcrtes and make up a box to put the siporax in.

Thanks all
I only occasionally siphon out detritus say maybe once in six months , I keep letting it all go into the sump and round the tank as well.
I often stir the sump up so the detritus ends up in my display , feeding the coral. Shaking the siporax releases large amounts of detritus and breaks off bacteria that my coral love to eat.
I think detritus is good stuff.
No filter wool or socks for me!

Am I doing this all wrong?

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I removed my filter sock 12 months ago and since then I actually have less detritus building up in my sump...
And what does collect down there is more "mulmy" the pods love the shit.
A good stir now and then and the corals get a good feed.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Update on my siporax from October - can't detect any nitrates on the API nitrate test

I have 2 litres (580g) tanks abour 150litres all up

Since christmas I've been overfeeding tank like crazy trying to get my new flame angel to eat and nitrates still won't go up

Hands down probably one of the best things I've got for my tank

Just running the siporax and the reef octopus hang on skimmer and all working ok on the nitrate and phosphate from

Just bought my first piece of acro over the weekend too!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Update on my siporax from October - can't detect any nitrates on the API nitrate test

I have 2 litres (580g) tanks abour 150litres all up

Since christmas I've been overfeeding tank like crazy trying to get my new flame angel to eat and nitrates still won't go up

Hands down probably one of the best things I've got for my tank

Just running the siporax and the reef octopus hang on skimmer and all working ok on the nitrate and phosphate from

Just bought my first piece of acro over the weekend too!
Now that's what I'm talking about!

desi_reefer

Jan 12, 2017
Great advise and responses from everyone there, appreciate your time.

Before leaving to work had the divine parcel of Siporax at the door step.

Now I realised I do not have eggcrate, last time I remember being to Bunnings (hardware store) here in Australia and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Any other alternatives with pictures will be very well appreciated.

Should I just toss it in for now and later after I grab an eggcrate I trasnfer? Do I need to rinse this stuff before I put it in the sump?

Can't wait to kick Nitrates a**!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Great advise and responses from everyone there, appreciate your time.

Before leaving to work had the divine parcel of Siporax at the door step.

Now I realised I do not have eggcrate, last time I remember being to Bunnings (hardware store) here in Australia and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Any other alternatives with pictures will be very well appreciated.

Should I just toss it in for now and later after I grab an eggcrate I trasnfer? Do I need to rinse this stuff before I put it in the sump?

Can't wait to kick Nitrates a**!
I went to the two dollar shop and found some great plastic organiser perforated containers to hold the Sips. Kinda makes a far neater option and time saver than making egg crate boxes.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Mine came inside a plastic net and I just left it in that - attached a cable tie to it for easy shaking without getting my hand wet

But then again it isn't neat or pretty ha - don't know where you live but i was at Aquaristic aquariums on the weekend in Sydney and they had egg crate for sale

desi_reefer

Jan 12, 2017
I went to the two dollar shop and found some great plastic organiser perforated containers to hold the Sips. Kinda makes a far neater option and time saver than making egg crate boxes.
Great. I was thinking of something similar too. Do u use some RO to rinse it off or jusy tap water?