Reef Discussion

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Siporax
Who's using it and how do you like it? I just bought a 100 litre box from my wholesaler and I'm curious as to how you have it deployed.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
@somethingfishy76 and I just got onto it. We put 5 litres each in our tanks. I have some in the inflow chamber and some in just before the return.
I've kept them in their bags so that it makes it easy to give them a jiggle every now and then.
Just have to wait and see how it works.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I was reading a few threads, some are using the 25mm and others the 15mm. Anyone have any insight on that? I got the 15mm size, but I'm thinking about getting another 50l box of the 25mm size to see if there's any difference.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
@somethingfishy76 and I just got onto it. We put 5 litres each in our tanks. I have some in the inflow chamber and some in just before the return.
I've kept them in their bags so that it makes it easy to give them a jiggle every now and then.
Just have to wait and see how it works.
The jiggling is very important, I jiggle mine with a 25mm PVC pipe off cut.
When you jiggle the Siporax a few million bacterias will be released into the water column feeding your tank.
Furthermore jiggling Siporax will speed up denitrification. The more you jiggle, the less nitrate and phosphate in your tank.
As far as deployment goes, some prefer a reactor chamber , some prefer a basket, some prefer an egg crate basket with Siporax neatly stacked.
In my case 10 liters sips in my ~300 liter tank, deployment happened in the coast to coast wier. The mesh bags were discarded.
As far a sizes go, I think a 15 fits inside a 25 / I very much doubt there is a difference in performance. I think it comes down to preference and space in your sump etc - there is also a mini version to try.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I should add that 10 liters for 300l is way too efficient.
I would like to try 5 liters - in the same breath you could say that nothing wrong with having too efficient filtration right?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I'm spending a bloody fortune on this shit, it damn well better work. They're gonna release me to fly in 2 weeks, HEADS VILL ROLL!!!! ;)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
How much is a box of it in the States?
$150 for a 20 litre bucket of the 15mm. I found a supplier in England that has the 25mm for $175 for a 50 litre box shipped to the USA. He's checking on the 50 litre box of 15mm. The sad part is, I can buy cheaper from him than getting it direct from my wholesaler, greedy bastards.

@somethingfishy76
Can you post your nitrate an phosphate test results for us to track over the coming weeks?

After some serious feedings my phos managed to hit 0.02 Hanna Nitrate 0
Great idea, I shall start recording my readings and post them up once I feel that things have kicked in. I assume a three month start-up so mid December I should see some interesting results. I do need a better nitrate tester.... Just bought a hanna KH meter. @daveH has the Nyos Nitrate test kit and is pretty good.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
This shit needs to hurry up and start working. I ain't got time for all this bacterial colonization shit!!! :D