Reef Discussion

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Skimmer Help
Heyyyyy

So I've had this skimmer about a year and a half now and it seems to be doing pretty well

I've made a few posts about moving house and managing to get a hold of a bigger sump. So my options are:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-bh1000-hang-on-the-back-protein-skimmer-2.html

1) Keep this skimmer and run HOB on the sump (or can I run it internally so even if it leaks it won't go all over the floor) not sure if the pump is fully waterproof on this model

2) Buy a fancy new skimmer now that I have the room, I made sure to leak a 30cm wide section in the middle of the new sump in case I chose or needed to get a new skimmer. Seen a few good reviews on the fish street skimmers on here

My tank is about 150 ltrs in the display and the sump is just a standard 2foot tank (not 100% sure on the dimensions but it's the cheap one you can pick up just about anywhere) so the one I have can handle the load of the tank because it has for the past while but does increasing the water volume even if its in the sump mean I need a new skimmer?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Yeah the fishstreet skimmers work a treat , if you going to use a sump then make the progression from hob to a kz knock off -

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Ok, so if you have a lot of waste you will skim a lot of waste. Adding extra volume in terms of liters won't change too much in the grand scheme .
These days I cut back on the feeding and pulling out less in the skimmer cup. If you are running a clean system you won't pull out much in the skimmer cup.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Yea the fish street ones seem really cheap too

Do I just go for the top line D700 i mean it's only $25 more expensive than the smaller one so in my head seems silly to get the smaller one or is there not much difference? Thinking the big one to just cover myself in case I get the itch for an upgrade as well

Whats the best operating depth for these skimmers as well just so i can adjust my baffles while im putting it together

Yea the fish street ones seem really cheap too

Do I just go for the top line D700 i mean it's only $25 more expensive than the smaller one so in my head seems silly to get the smaller one or is there not much difference? Thinking the big one to just cover myself in case I get the itch for an upgrade as well

Whats the best operating depth for these skimmers as well just so i can adjust my baffles while im putting it together
If you can fit the D700 then absolutely... I have one and I love it. You will be glad you did. They are fantastic skimmers. Super easy and super quiet.