Tank Journal Archive

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Skimmer Pump Clean
My skimmer pump needed a thorough clean and breakdown, so I headed to Aldi to get 15 L of white vinegar and proceeded to soak the motor block.

The Red Dragon 2 pumps are made to a modular system and every part is availabe as a spare.

as19.postimg.org_hj5lhgqg3_image.jpg

as19.postimg.org_5z0rpfher_image.jpg

Adjustable volute is modular and comes completely apart. The red threaded section allows you to fine tune the water to air ratio. The two inputs are for the main airline and the smaller one is for ozone.
as19.postimg.org_jtz27wbtv_image.jpg

Next I soaked the impeller in vinegar to remove all the calcium deposits. It is important to remove the bearing and o-ring and ensure these are clean before re-assembly. If your pump is vibrating, It is more than likely the bearing seizing up from calcium.
as19.postimg.org_51yxuavab_image.jpg

This impeller is a decent size
:)
as19.postimg.org_mtak8raoz_image.jpg

I also removed the red tubing that is the Anti-Calcium-Bypass and gave it a vinegar soak so it's clear and clean.

Pump is now fully clean and ready to go :cool:

Attachments

Last edited:

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
They are definitely a nice looking pump - a cheap bottle of vinegar does a great job of making it look like new :)
Yes they are!

The people at Aldi look at me weird walking out with a case of vinegar :eek
I find vinegar the easiest and safest method for cleaning calcium deposits from powerheads, heaters and anything else. Just make sure it is fully rinsed, you don't want to add and additional carbon source ;)

Now I am soaking the skimmer body for a few days and it will be ready to go when I need it.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I ordered some spares from to get my skimmer body up and running again.

Silicon rubber o-ring 165 x 3mm
Old
as19.postimg.org_6dtpsyycj_image.jpg

New
as19.postimg.org_5022xnz37_image.jpg

as19.postimg.org_elvndyq8z_image.jpg

Foam insert for air-silencer and food grade silicon grease for skimmer cup.
as19.postimg.org_po0qcekbn_image.jpg

as19.postimg.org_ff896kw9v_image.jpg

Body cleaned and re-assembled. Ready for use ;)

as19.postimg.org_5j766xqhv_image.jpg

Now I need to finish cleaning my Tunze Stream pumps - I really should have cleaned all this gear before putting it away :confused:

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
The BK pulls out a load of skim and emptying the cup is not something I look forward to doing :cry
To make this job easier I bought one of these and it arrived today.
image.jpeg

It is an Eheim 4004412 Double Tap Quick Connector.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Installed and ready to go. Connecting and disconnecting the collection cup drain line has never been easier :D
image.jpeg