Reef Discussion

Frecklycomic

Jan 4, 2016
Skimmer Question
Sorry again for the questions...

What should a properly trimmed skimmer look like?
I have no idea if I am over skimming or under skimming

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Sorry again for the questions...

What should a properly trimmed skimmer look like?
I have no idea if I am over skimming or under skimming
There are 2 ways of skimming: wet and dry.

Wet meaning it's more liquid, whilst dry is very thick.

My analogy is, wet is more like Kale juice whilst dry is like thick shake consistency.

Some people prefer one and not the other. There's no right and wrong method.

Wet is easier to clean the skimmer collection cup; it just that you need to do it more often than dry, whilst dry, the thick shake tends to stick to the collection cup, hence harder to clean, but perhaps less going to toilet to clean it.

Hope that helps!

Frecklycomic

Jan 4, 2016
I just cleaned it. Had a skin/film of brown gunk. My bottle had like a teatree colour liquid in it. Will take a photo of it now.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
mine varies, some weeks its gunky and dark, currently its quiet clear and skimming just under the cup level so my guess is that the water column is quiet clean and there is no excess protein..

not sure if the captive Phos W is helping with this either

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
I try not to mess with my air intake and let it do its thing, find a happy spot and just monitor is, sometimes the skimmer goes mental and overflows then settles down.. just depends - i noticed using the phos remover media tends to do this and then it settles down.

Frecklycomic

Jan 4, 2016
I try not to mess with my air intake and let it do its thing, find a happy spot and just monitor is, sometimes the skimmer goes mental and overflows then settles down.. just depends - i noticed using the phos remover media tends to do this and then it settles down.
When I first got it set up I lost half of my tank water onto the tiles haha....lesson learnt quickly.