Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Skimmer Recommendation
I have a Tunze 9002 but thinking I should go for something a bit meatier. Tank will be ~150l, not heavily stocked with fish, but SPS dominant.

Price is a factor so probably won't be going Royal Exclusiv ;)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I have a Tunze 9002 but thinking I should go for something a bit meatier. Tank will be ~150l, not heavily stocked with fish, but SPS dominant.

Price is a factor so probably won't be going Royal Exclusiv ;)
Don't know prices but the Deltec skimmer had been amazingly good for us. Hardly ever needs adjusting. Quiet and when we did have a problem deltec's customer service was outstanding. Wouldn't buy anything else but them. Food for thought.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Don't know prices but the Deltec skimmer had been amazingly good for us. Hardly ever needs adjusting. Quiet and when we did have a problem deltec's customer service was outstanding. Wouldn't buy anything else but them. Food for thought.
Deltec was definitely on my consideration list :)

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Hard to get these days but I have a Skimz 161 and love it. you probably don't need one that big but they do make smaller ones.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Im getting the hydor slim skim nano for my tank.. the non nano version looks good? Could get the new nuvo internal one?

E

ezza

How do you even know what the best value for the money is with a skimmer?! I would love to change mine but really can't get my head around the variety.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
How do you even know what the best value for the money is with a skimmer?! I would love to change mine but really can't get my head around the variety.
You don't! That's the challenge. For example, the Tunze 9002 might be the most popular/widely used skimmer in the world ... yet I don't find it works that well for me. Probably the user ...

What I do know is:
- Super cheap skimmers don't work too well usually (eg Aqua One) - though some use them successfully
- Super expensive usually do work well, but I struggle to justify the $:result spend
- The shitload of options in the middle ... well I am relying on recommendations and reviews. The JNS ConeS skimmer I posted above gets great reviews, haven't seen a negative one yet, and it's 'reasonably' priced (around $260 fore that option I think).

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
That's easy, once you have been in reefing for a number of years you have would have probably bought most of the skimmers on the market. Just go back over everything you've bought and compare value for quality. ;)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Well I'd pretty much decided on the jns ... And then reef secrets had it on the sns $35 off, so I grabbed it. Officially my first new tank equipment!

E

ezza

Cool! Thanks guys. I will invest in a new skimmer once we have dealt with my health and have money again! I might check out this JNS of which you speak.