Reef Discussion

JonoD

Mar 3, 2015
Skimmer
hi everyone, I have a Aqua reef 275 which I have been slowly upgrading as I can and at the moment I am looking to buy a new skimmer as the one that came with the tank is a bit to be desired. I am on a bit of a budget and have been looking at the bubble magus curve 5. Has any body got any experience with these skimmers? And what are some other good options in this price range.
I am keeping some lps and a couple of fish and planning to get more

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Lol. I have just ordered one of these right now!! Everything I have read said they are a pretty nice unit. It should be able to cope with your tank with ease as they are rated for 500l or so I think.

JonoD

Mar 3, 2015
Lol. I have just ordered one of these right now!! Everything I have read said they are a pretty nice unit. It should be able to cope with your tank with ease as they are rated for 500l or so I think.
Yeah everything I have read about them sounds good,
Where did you get yours from?

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
I have a curve 5 running on a 250L tank for the past year and have not been happy with it.
I have never really got a consistent skim (it seems to dump a couple of cm in the cup, then builds up gunk on this inside of the neck) and have tried various water depths.
Could be user error or that I got a bad one.
On my new tank I use a coral box dc skimmer and have been very happy with it. That would be my recommendation.

JonoD

Mar 3, 2015
I have a curve 5 running on a 250L tank for the past year and have not been happy with it.
I have never really got a consistent skim (it seems to dump a couple of cm in the cup, then builds up gunk on this inside of the neck) and have tried various water depths.
Could be user error or that I got a bad one.
On my new tank I use a coral box dc skimmer and have been very happy with it. That would be my recommendation.
Thanks for the info, and just had a look at the coral box skimmers think I might go with the d700 and see how it goes should be plenty big enough going off the rating

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
I've just ordered the D500 after the reviews on here, so fingers crossed it's good :)

Worth contacting the QLD shop Reef Secrets for it, I bought mine there he only got a few in stock as a trial. Worked out about $20 more than off fish street but was happy giving the money to a decent Australian shop.

Plus he's posting it today (same day as order) with delivery expected for tomorrow so thats always nice

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
I use quite a few fish street bits and bobs and for the most part they are great value for money. However for a protein skimmer, I would honestly buy a reputable one off gum tree for a similar price along with 5 litre of vinegar. There is not much that goes wrong with a skimmer and the price will be pretty similar. Protein skimmer can make or break your set up and with so many decent used ones around why settle for something less

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks for the info, and just had a look at the coral box skimmers think I might go with the d700 and see how it goes should be plenty big enough going off the rating
I have the D700 on my 600l system, it's a much bigger footprint than the curve 5. If the aquareef is 275l, the d700 will be overkill IMO

JonoD

Mar 3, 2015
I have the D700 on my 600l system, it's a much bigger footprint than the curve 5. If the aquareef is 275l, the d700 will be overkill IMO
I agree I did a measure up of my sump when I got home and the 700 is way to big I think the 500 will suit much better, and have you had any probs with yours

JonoD

Mar 3, 2015
I use quite a few fish street bits and bobs and for the most part they are great value for money. However for a protein skimmer, I would honestly buy a reputable one off gum tree for a similar price along with 5 litre of vinegar. There is not much that goes wrong with a skimmer and the price will be pretty similar. Protein skimmer can make or break your set up and with so many decent used ones around why settle for something less
Thankyou for your input o will definitely have a good look through gum tree and see what I can find just a bit dubious about spending the same money on something second hand and the pump blowing after a few months. Have you bought many second hand skimmers and what's a good brand that will be a good second hand buy

JonoD

Mar 3, 2015
I've just ordered the D500 after the reviews on here, so fingers crossed it's good :)

Worth contacting the QLD shop Reef Secrets for it, I bought mine there he only got a few in stock as a trial. Worked out about $20 more than off fish street but was happy giving the money to a decent Australian shop.

Plus he's posting it today (same day as order) with delivery expected for tomorrow so thats always nice
Yeah awesome I will check them out for sure would much rather spend my money locally plus I do like getting my stuff straight away

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
Thankyou for your input o will definitely have a good look through gum tree and see what I can find just a bit dubious about spending the same money on something second hand and the pump blowing after a few months. Have you bought many second hand skimmers and what's a good brand that will be a good second hand buy
Never bought a skimmer off gum tree but have bought wave makers and they are working just fine. As with anything a bit of background research helps before you decide to buy it, not just the brand/model but also the asking the owner how long it was used for, was it cleaned regularly etc. Reef octopus, Red Sea and Deltec.. I can see these 3 brands currently available on gum tree and all three are top brands, build to last and perform very well. Deltecs are pricey but supposedly the best but the other 2 will definitely be better than the fish street one. Anyways whichever way you do decide to go..All the best bud.

JonoD

Mar 3, 2015
Never bought a skimmer off gum tree but have bought wave makers and they are working just fine. As with anything a bit of background research helps before you decide to buy it, not just the brand/model but also the asking the owner how long it was used for, was it cleaned regularly etc. Reef octopus, Red Sea and Deltec.. I can see these 3 brands currently available on gum tree and all three are top brands, build to last and perform very well. Deltecs are pricey but supposedly the best but the other 2 will definitely be better than the fish street one. Anyways whichever way you do decide to go..All the best bud.
Too easy thanks mate I will be having a look tonight as soon as I can might find a good deal

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
I agree I did a measure up of my sump when I got home and the 700 is way to big I think the 500 will suit much better, and have you had any probs with yours
I've had it running for 6 months and no issues so far. My only criticism is that it requires a screwdriver to disassemble for maintenance.

JonoD

Mar 3, 2015
I've had it running for 6 months and no issues so far. My only criticism is that it requires a screwdriver to disassemble for maintenance.
yeah cool is that to take the skimmer cup off or to get into the body to give it a good clean

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I haven't used the D500 but I'm a huge fan of the D700. I've run one for about 3 years. Easy to setup, super quiet and has performed brilliantly and you can't beat the price.

JonoD

Mar 3, 2015

I heard back from reef secrets today and looks like you got the last one lol

JonoD

Mar 3, 2015
I haven't used the D500 but I'm a huge fan of the D700. I've run one for about 3 years. Easy to setup, super quiet and has performed brilliantly and you can't beat the price.
Yeah awesome I think I am sold on the d500 so I'm going to give it a go

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Haha sorry Jono :P

As far as second hand skimmers go, the one I've been using for about 2 years now I got off gumtree and haven't had any problems. Was the Reef octopus bh 1000, just had to give it a good clean, nothing can go wrong with skimmers aside the pump going really. And they're usually the cheaper thing to replace so if you're stuck nothing wrong with second hand.

There's also heaps out there but no one seems to want to post them so you really have to be a bit lucky with one popping up in your area