Reef Discussion

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Skimmer
Ok so i thought id turn my skimmer on now tanks well into cycle. I have the water levels set as i read in a redsea post.

But my skimmer is going INSANE the only adjustments is the height of skimmer cup (put at max) and air valve. If i turn the valve of the min mark I get micro bubbles like you wouldn't belive and the cup fills with foam in seconds.

I'm not sure what to do except pull it out and clean it but I always thought that was for skimmers under skimming not going INSANE.

By INSANE I mean like a fat kid seeing cake after a week in the desert.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
lol, see if you can leave it running for a while as it may die down a bit once bedded in. Can you raise the height of the skimmer at all? Or lower the water height?

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
lol, see if you can leave it running for a while as it may die down a bit once bedded in. Can you raise the height of the skimmer at all? Or lower the water height?
I can drop water height but you get the sound of a waterfall.
I'll leave it running see what happens

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Sorry to be mentioning other forums, but there's a whole forum dedicated to Red Sea owners and I came across it the other day and a thread discussion issues with their skimmer.

With my skimmer I still get micro bubbles and I have never been able to eliminate them entirely. I had the idea of reducing the supply of air, until I read the Red Sea thorium where they mentioned the less air flow you supply, the more water flow there will be and the consequential transport of micro bubbles into your tank.

I don't have a sump so micro bubbles are probably more of an issue with my tank than with yours. However, I reckon micro bubbles are valuable in causing mucous from corals to float to the surface (and out of reach of my corals) as the mucous becomes saturated with the tiny bubbles and floats to the surface and then goes into my skimmer. If this didn't happen the mucous could end up wrapping around corals.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Sorry to be mentioning other forums, but there's a whole forum dedicated to Red Sea owners and I came across it the other day and a thread discussion issues with their skimmer.

With my skimmer I still get micro bubbles and I have never been able to eliminate them entirely. I had the idea of reducing the supply of air, until I read the Red Sea thorium where they mentioned the less air flow you supply, the more water flow there will be and the consequential transport of micro bubbles into your tank.

I don't have a sump so micro bubbles are probably more of an issue with my tank than with yours. However, I reckon micro bubbles are valuable in causing mucous from corals to float to the surface (and out of reach of my corals) as the mucous becomes saturated with the tiny bubbles and floats to the surface and then goes into my skimmer. If this didn't happen the mucous could end up wrapping around corals.
I tried to join the Redsea forum but the Capture thing wasnt working

My tank being the max 250 dosent have a sump its the rear chamber.

When I mean micro bubble I mean they fill the tank up. I'll post a video tomorrow.

If I turn the air all open to slow water flow the skimmer will fill the cup with bubbles in like 30 seconds.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014