Tank Journal Archive

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Skimmerless: Lets Try This Again
I figured something out today. I don't think I've enjoyed my tank anywhere near as much as I did before I got my skimmer, strange as that sounds. I spent 2 years in this hobby skimmerless and it was somehow more enjoyable. I was happy with my tank and my tank was happy.

So many people told me I really should have a skimmer and eventually I got one, but I'm not convinced my tank has been better off for it. I have a Reef Octopus HOB Skimmer, big monster of a thing with two big powerheads buzzing away. I've researched replacing it more times than I can count and obviously if I had found something I was sure of I would have bought it on the spot. I decided today I don't want to spend another second thinking about it.

So today I'm going to remove the skimmer from the tank and pack it away in the cupboard. No equipment involving electricity is going to replace it. One step back to even greater simplicity for my tank starting now.

Q: I'm considering using poly filter but I'm a bit confused as to why it can't be soaked in vinegar and reused, no fast answers were found in a google search...anyone?

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
I also prefer not to run a skimmer and since I switched to an algae scrubber around a year ago I don't think I would ever go back to running one again.. I'ma tagging along.. :)

rnscross

Jul 16, 2011
Q: I'm considering using poly filter but I'm a bit confused as to why it can't be soaked in vinegar and reused, no fast answers were found in a google search...anyone?

A quick search on poly filter identifies it as both mechanical and chemical filtration, I have not used it but have talked about it with a friend and have a strong science background. You can soak it in vinegar and re-use it for mechanical filtration as will turn into something similar to a filter sock, to "re-activate" it as far as chemical filtration and removal of phosphates I'm almost certain that vinegar is too weak, even if an acid is required to reactivate it. As they wont say what the chemical is that they use to remove phosphate, choosing an appropriate method of reactivation will be time consuming and may never work well enough. The colour change of it also indicates that the phosphate is binding to something rather strongly and thus you would most likely require a lab grade chemical to reactivate, and then run the risk of introducing it to your aquarium. The aluminium based phosphate removals can be reactivated with acid washing, but they are different to a polymer based removal method.

HTH

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Thank you, that does help! I noticed it is a patented product - and I get the impression that it was very much geared to be one of those things where they want you to have to keep buying it so aren't going to give much away. Seems people who use it have nothing but good things to say about it however so I will weigh up the $$ costs with the benefits and see if I think its worth it.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I've just ordered 2 of the 4x8 size ($15+ each with free shipping) so other than water changes I will just rely on those for a while and see how long they last me before they need replacing.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I ended up putting the skimmer back on the tank this afternoon for a few hours because I did a 100 litre water change and stirred up a lot of crap siphoning algae, so I think I will use it for that purpose. Thought I'd start off my first skimmerless week with a clean tank.

Funnily enough, when I looked up skimmerless tanks on Youtube it wasn't uncommon to find a mention of an algae scrubber.

rnscross

Jul 16, 2011
ATS are better than skimmers in many regards, I'm going with a skimmer simply because I paid so much for one and cant fork out more for an ATS. They have their pitfall but everything does to one degree or another.

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
Mines a standard waterfall scrubber very easy diy and very cheap to set up if people are interested I can post pics tomorrow some stage as I have to clean one of my sheets then anyway..

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Mines a standard waterfall scrubber very easy diy and very cheap to set up if people are interested I can post pics tomorrow some stage as I have to clean one of my sheets then anyway..
I probably won't be setting up an algae scrubber myself, just going to try the poly-filter & start doing regular water changes again, but I'd be interested to see yours and keep the discussion going on skimmerless options in here, post away!

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I've just read this topic.

Post details of the phosphate remover you are using and I'll have a search for the patent, then you will know what you are dealing with.

I have worked at the bench with ion exchange resins in the past.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
@Savage Henry I'm using Poly-Bio-Marine Inc. Poly-Filter. After testing it out for myself, I will be using it instead of carbon and to support my skimmer, but I do agree with their comments about not needing to use carbon or a skimmer if you are using this, its done a great job on my 100L tank and lasts about 3 months. I clean it by rinsing it under the tap and occasionally soaking it in 3% hydrogen peroxide.

http://www.poly-bio-marine.com/products.htm

Info from their website:
The POLY-FILTER is for filtering and purifying both fresh and salt water aquariums. It is a formulation of a special patented material bonded to a synthetic matrix. By means of a unique proprietary process, the POLY-FILTER is made impervious to salt and is also organic loving to certain materials. It can absorb and adsorb contaminants and other toxic materials found in nature or added to fresh and salt water with or without fish and invertebrates. Medication added to fresh and salt water aquariums for treatment of diseased fish will automatically be removed by the POLY-FILTER after serving their intended purpose before the medication can produce a toxic effect on the fish.

awww.poly_bio_marine.com_images_polyfilter.png

The POLY-FILTER is non-toxic and harmless to biological filtration because it allows a sufficient amount of ammonia to reach the biological filter in order to sustain the bacteria culture. The POLY-FILTER provides a supplemental means for removal of ammonia when the biological filter is unable to break down the excess ammonia and its concentration increases rapidly. Then the POLY-FILTER adsorbs the excess ammonia while the biological filter readjusts to higher ammonia input levels.

BECAUSE OF THIS UNIQUE FILTERING CHARACTERISTIC, THE POLY-FILTER ELIMINATES THE NEED AND EXPENSE OF CARBON OR ION EXCHANGE RESINS AND PROTEIN SKIMMERS.

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Been looking at using Chemipure elite on my skimmerless nano, looks really good.
Might be an option for you.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I have looked at that product but haven't tried it. According to the instructions I would need two bags of it so could be a bit pricey, but it looks like it does a good job from the youtube reviews I've watched.

I don't want to end up using too many things but I'm trying Phosphate RX and looking at some mineral based water clearing products as well.

I also have my eye on the microbe/bacterial cleaning products if I don't like any of the above

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
Chemipure is great stuff, but I do use it as a final polisher rather than a key part of my filtration. I cant be sure, but I think it saved my lps when I had a big sarco leather die. Good idea to have some type of chemical filtration if you are going to mix toxic with stingers. The fine bags most chemical media come in can quickly become blocked up, so I give them a rinse almost weekly.