Tank Journal Archive

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Slow Upgrade To Quiet Drives Mpxxwqd
Well I'm lazy and did not want to replace the bearings in my original MP10WES as this was my very first pump in my nano tank probably 6~7 years ago. So when it started to hum this week I noticed the same day someone was selling a 2nd hand (few months old) MP10 which had the Quiet Drive upgraded controller. Although was an unplanned spend I think God wanted me to buy it, as the day mine failed someone advertised one for sale so its a win-win.

The part I'm not looking forward to is getting this new Quiet drive sync'd with my profilux. The Profilux becomes the "master" in the Vortech wireless network (Zigbee) and co-ordinates the flow patterns of my two vortechs MP40WES & new MP10WQD. I hope the Profilux plays nicely with two versions of the controller as they become slaves.

So I have to update the base firmware in profilux (It needs an old fashion serial connection, DB9 style) and then update the firmware in the Vortech control module. Its great trailing technology by a year or so as hopefully the bugs have been ironed out.

If the MP10 Quiet drive controller is significantly better I'll probably also look at replacing the driver in my MP40 at Christmas time.

This is really the first spend of 2016, + the first post I think in my journal this year ... So consider myself lucky.

Attachments

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
As mentioned in your previous post from last year,

"2016 - The year to take some decent photos."

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Its installed and whisper quiet just like those big bulky chunky ugly wired pumps that have a 1970's controller with knobs, I love vortech. ;)

It would not be a flow pump thread without inciting debate from the other side... and before you say it, I know those other pumps last 10 years .... I better stop now or someone might start thinking I'm serious and ban me from the fish crawl next month :D

Last edited:

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Oh yeah, its been too long since i posted about flow forgot about gyre.. I stir tunze for being old tech however my profilux must be 10 years behind the times... So doubt they would even consider how to control a gyre.