Smart Ato

Discussion in 'Equipment / DIY / Reviews' started by Buddy, Sep 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Buddy

Buddy Member

Ratings:
    +2,582
    Australia
    State:
    VIc
    So I have just moved house and was in the process of putting my tank back together when I noticed my dog had decided to eat my Tunze Osmolator 3155 :banghead It was starting to play up anyways after all these years.
    Anyways, I want to get one of the Smart ATO since my tank is much smaller now.
    Does anyone know the best place to source this? Is there any difference between the normal version and the micro version a part from size?
    Cheers!
  2. Wrangy

Wrangy Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    Skip the Rust ATO and take my osmolator :) lol It's still going strong and the pump was replaced really recently too lol it's yours if you want :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Cheers! Cheers! x 1
  3. Sam Parker

Sam Parker Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,616
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    That's a heck of a deal!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. RobbieMVFC

RobbieMVFC Member

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    Well done Dom,
    Buddy , I had nothing but nightmares with my so called "smart" ATO , I ended up throwing it in the bin.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sam Parker

Sam Parker Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,616
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    I seem to be the only person in the world who liked the smart ATO. Once I worked out that the initial run time of the pump was CRITICAL to it's functions, it worked a treat
  6. Buddy

Buddy Member

Ratings:
    +2,582
    Australia
    State:
    VIc
    From what I have read, there is a newer version of this ATO that solves the issues people were having. But I have never used one so I cant be sure.
  7. Sam Parker

Sam Parker Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,616
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    As far as i can tell, there were two issues: 1. Rust. The original sensor rusted, but the distributor replaced them no questions asked. 2. The instructions were terrible at explaining how the "smarts" worked so people always thought the ATO was playing up when it would start beeping every 48 hours. Little did they know they had not followed the (lack of) instructions and the beeping was to indicate under or over fill alarms.
  8. Adam_w

Adam_w Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    I've still got the coral box ATO 2 years running now no problems and haven't had to do anything for it yet :) was pretty cheap and easy to set up from memory

Such a tight ass over here I've got pretty much everything coral box
  9. RobbieMVFC

RobbieMVFC Member

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    Thats not tight.... this is tight
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WaveReef...726670?hash=item3d1e1570ce:g:wjYAAOSwOVpXbnJp
    I use it when I go on leave to top up my ATO secion in my sump .It holds about 45 litres and only last about 4/5 days
    Its also on a timer so it can only run for 2 mins a night.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Buddy

Buddy Member

Ratings:
    +2,582
    Australia
    State:
    VIc
    I read very bad things about that ATO including here on the Reefuge so that is why I stayed away. Something about the optical sensor being bad.
  11. Adam_w

Adam_w Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    Really? I read a few good things before I bought it, I guess I'll keep an eye on it but I haven't had any problems with it, the instructions says to clean that lens every 6 months but I honestly haven't touched the thing since I got it.

Probably jinxed myself now but I've had a good run
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Buddy

Buddy Member

Ratings:
    +2,582
    Australia
    State:
    VIc
    I think @ReeferRob used the coral box ATO and didn't like it?
  13. ReeferRob

ReeferRob Solidarité

Ratings:
    +2,092
    United States
    State:
    Maryland
    Yea, it was me. The list that's wrong with that is a lot longer than the list that's good. I ended up getting pissed off, chopped it up and recycled it. The mounting system sucks, the sensors don't last and they get mucked up regularly. My JBJ ATO units have been going strong for 4-7 years with only the odd sensor change.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Cheers! Cheers! x 1