Reef Discussion

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Smart Ato
So I have just moved house and was in the process of putting my tank back together when I noticed my dog had decided to eat my Tunze Osmolator 3155 :banghead It was starting to play up anyways after all these years.
Anyways, I want to get one of the Smart ATO since my tank is much smaller now.
Does anyone know the best place to source this? Is there any difference between the normal version and the micro version a part from size?
Cheers!

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Well done Dom,
Buddy , I had nothing but nightmares with my so called "smart" ATO , I ended up throwing it in the bin.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I seem to be the only person in the world who liked the smart ATO. Once I worked out that the initial run time of the pump was CRITICAL to it's functions, it worked a treat

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
From what I have read, there is a newer version of this ATO that solves the issues people were having. But I have never used one so I cant be sure.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
As far as i can tell, there were two issues: 1. Rust. The original sensor rusted, but the distributor replaced them no questions asked. 2. The instructions were terrible at explaining how the "smarts" worked so people always thought the ATO was playing up when it would start beeping every 48 hours. Little did they know they had not followed the (lack of) instructions and the beeping was to indicate under or over fill alarms.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
I've still got the coral box ATO 2 years running now no problems and haven't had to do anything for it yet :) was pretty cheap and easy to set up from memory

Such a tight ass over here I've got pretty much everything coral box

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I've still got the coral box ATO 2 years running now no problems and haven't had to do anything for it yet :) was pretty cheap and easy to set up from memory

Thats not tight.... this is tight
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WaveReef...726670?hash=item3d1e1570ce:g:wjYAAOSwOVpXbnJp
I use it when I go on leave to top up my ATO secion in my sump .It holds about 45 litres and only last about 4/5 days
Its also on a timer so it can only run for 2 mins a night.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012

I read very bad things about that ATO including here on the Reefuge so that is why I stayed away. Something about the optical sensor being bad.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Really? I read a few good things before I bought it, I guess I'll keep an eye on it but I haven't had any problems with it, the instructions says to clean that lens every 6 months but I honestly haven't touched the thing since I got it.

Probably jinxed myself now but I've had a good run

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Yea, it was me. The list that's wrong with that is a lot longer than the list that's good. I ended up getting pissed off, chopped it up and recycled it. The mounting system sucks, the sensors don't last and they get mucked up regularly. My JBJ ATO units have been going strong for 4-7 years with only the odd sensor change.