Reef Discussion

wallie

Apr 21, 2013
Snails found at local rock pools.
Hey guys whilst fishing this morning I came across several different species of snails and was wondering if they would be aquarium safe with my corals and fish , Would they just graze away at the algae and keep the sand nice like my turbans and ceriths ? or would they be escape artists ? Would they be likely to bring diseases into my aquarium ? I live on the mid north coast of nsw and the rock pool has fresh water coming over it continuously . I took some photos also , Cheers .

Attachments

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
the first to look kinda like turbos but im only new to this and never identified them from the wild before. The 2nd to that look like garden snails may be a problem snail i read something about snails like that the other week let me see if i can find it before you through them out i may be wrong as for the last 4 pics i havent seen in the trade before someone more qualified may be able to identify them for you.. i will see if i can find the article i read on the garden looking snails..

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
Leaden Sand Snail

Conuber sordidus

This species, growing to 50mm, is one of the largest, most common sand snails found on sand-and mud-flats along the eastern and southern coasts of Australia. Like other sand snails, this is an active predator, preferring bivalve molluscs (especially tellins and clams) but also preying on other snails and in fact other species of sand snail. The animal burrows through surface layers of sand in search of prey. It uses its large foot to secure victims while the special drilling apparatus in the mouth forms a circular whole in the victim’s shell. The Leaden Sand Snail produces large, crescent-shaped egg-masses, composed of clear jelly and thousands of embryos. Such egg-masses are often confused with jellyfish, but are entirely harmless and should be left alone.
Indigenous: Eastern and southern Australia.
at0_gstatic_com_images_a8f12b03b671a62cbe9a3dd92d20cc04._.jpg

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Those are not turbos, don't risk your tank on snails from the beach... Way to much of a risk for something that costs so little

wallie

Apr 21, 2013
thanks for the help. Yeah i just had to put the backside of my knife under it and prise it up . Impossible nearly to get it off with just hands . It is quite large bigger then a 50c piece If that is a leaden sand snail i think ill leave it out of my tank lol dont want it "drilling " into any of my other snails

wallie

Apr 21, 2013
Those are not turbos, don't risk your tank on snails from the beach... Way to much of a risk for something that costs so little
good call , thanks mate . Does anyone on classifieds sell snails every now and then ?

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
yeh i wouldnt put them in.. if you have a member near you just ask them if they have some spare turbos usually reef tanks have heaps the breed like crazy and reefers dont mind culling the numbers and giving a few away.

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
if you had to pry the other snail off with a knife it is most likely a limpet of some species it could be fine in the tank but like MTG said its not worth the risk

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Whatever kind of snail you find at a rockpool, it's fairly likely to crawl right out of your tank at some point.

Reactions: MTG