Tank Journal Archive

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
So It Begins.....
First of all want to say hi to all of you on here, i have enjoyed reading everyone's journals.

So about four months ago, decided to get back into the hobby and got a 4 x 2 x 2 on gum tree. Wasn't to sue how the better half would take to it all. Low and behold a month or two in, she was spending more on fish and coral then i did.... which you cant complain about that :)

Well not long ago, she said we should up grade to something bigger..... first thing we did was measured the door ways into the house to see the widest tank and cabinet we could get in the tank. which was a 2 and 1/2 foot wide cabinet would get in... had no interest in building a bigger cabinet inside the house.

Nic was adamant that the cabinet was going to be a modern cabinet in a white gloss finish ( 2 pac or vinyl wrap). After a couple quotes for these type of doors and cabinets varying from $1200 - $3500.... with those prices, that quickly stopped that idea. So we just going with a 750mm high cabinet with floor.

The outside will be down in 2 x undercoats and sander then 2 x enamel white gloss with 10% penetrol and buffed to a shiny finish. Inside will have all edges silicone and 3 x 4 in paint coating. All purchased at Bunnings today, their employees in that section can be very handy.

Cabinet was also order today from my LFS, and hopefully will arrive in 3 or so weeks time.

With the tank currently undecided yet whether or not black silicone or clear, bevilled edge or not. Will be open top with no hood. As ill be making custom brackets from the back to hang the Hydra 52's off. We will have the Weir off to the right of center, Will have an extra hole also add so i have a rain valve for water changes. As carrying out 200L in 25l drums is never fun.

Equipment

SKIMMER - Tunze 9430 (Over kill, but can stock heavy)

LIGHTING - 2 x Hydra 52's, maybe 3

RETURN - TBD

CIRCULATION - 2 x Maxspect Gyre 35W

SUBSTRATE - CARIB sugar sized

4 Channel Dupla Dosing Pump.

TOP SYSTEM - TBD

SULFUR REACTOR - TBD

SUMP - Currently being designed by LFS

Nic is very set on using the Aqua Roche Rock for our aqua scaping.

FISH LIST

Emperor Angel

Coral Beauty

Mata Tang

Lavender Tang

Lieutenant Tang

2 x percula clowns

Longnose Hawkfish.

Yellow Tang.

Black leopard Wrasse.

Hoevens Wrasse.

Cleaner Wrasse.

Fire Goby

Chocolate Goby.

Single Spot Fox Face.

Blue Tang

Cleaner Shrimp

Future Fish List

Kole Tang

Flame Angel

Majestic Angel ( Hopefully sneak it somehow past the Emperor)

Atlantic Blue Tang.

Achellies Tang - Which is what Nic really wants.........

Look forward to adding pictures as things arriving and sharing my build with the ReefFuge Community

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
Wow, huge fish list! This is going to be a very nice system, really look forward to seeing it!
Thanks tannum.

Yeah fish list is huge atm in the 4 x 2..... Sort of why we need a bigger tank and the tunze 9410 is pulling a fair bit daily. Though we do a weekly water change and use the korallin phos minus and keep nitrate to 10ppm and phosphate to 0.05

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Hi. Looking forward to following. Just one thing I would like to point out regarding silicone - clear shows every bit of algae means more cleaning. Black hides it. But others on here will laugh & say I have an algea phobia ? :). Just the siliconed edges are very hard to clean !! That's my 2 cents & yea I don't like algea lol. So what will be the final measurements of this build ?

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
Hi. Looking forward to following. Just one thing I would like to point out regarding silicone - clear shows every bit of algae means more cleaning. Black hides it. But others on here will laugh & say I have an algea phobia ? :). Just the siliconed edges are very hard to clean !! That's my 2 cents & yea I don't like algea lol
Thanks for that Lesley, I think you just made my decision for me, black silicone it is.

Just hoping they trim it up neatly... If not out comes a very sharp blade and I'll trim it up myself.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Thanks for that Lesley, I think you just made my decision for me, black silicone it is.

Just hoping they trim it up neatly... If not out comes a very sharp blade and I'll trim it up myself.
Final measurements of tank ?