Tank Journal Archive

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
So This Happened
A bit before Easter a member here, @RobbieMVFC listed a tank for sale at zero cost. I jokingly said, "if no one takes it I will..." Thinking that someone would snap it up.

Turns out, no one did! So a fourth tank makes its way into my house and I had to start thinking what to do with it. Thankfully my wife is very supportive and has some fantastic ideas. One of which was a clownfish harem tank. A bit of research and a chat with Dave at deer park and it seemed a lot more possible than I had first thought.

So here we are, tank is 3x2x2 and will daisy chain into my auto water change setup and have a 9004 skimmer for filtration. A Tunze wave box will create movement.

Plan is for a bunch of basic BTAs and a clutch of 20-30 baby percs to all go in at once. Well, the nems in first, then the clowns all together.

Here are some cleaning progress pics:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wish me luck!

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
There was only a small amount of coraline algae on it .....lol
Good work.
Google donkeys DYI overflow. That is what i used if you wanted to run a separate system

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Plan is to keep it simple. Will get 20l of water change a day and with just BTAs in it, should be enough.

With the wave box, the Tunze skimmer looks the same so will keep it symmetrical.

That being said, I will google it, thanks :)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Only you Sam
and you think I am insane,
4 tanks is absolute insanity.
lol
Looking forward to seeing it come along

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I can't believe no-one else wanted it either, it's a stunning cabinet and the tank is in great shape.

A clown fish harem tank has always had my interest, I just wanted to make sure I could do it responsibly without having any/many deaths. Seems like it should be possible these days, just need to build up a strong bacteria level in the tank first and get tiny clowns all at once from the same clutch.

Hoping to only lose 1 or 2 tops from a clutch of 20-30, which I don't think is too bad (well, I don't condone losing any fish for my own benefit, but it's a percentage that I can live with)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Oh no - @Sam Parker has gone with the "I've got a real reef" background we all used to have 15 years ago.....

On a serious note it I think it has the potential to look pretty cool. Let me know if you're after some BTA's - I could probably find some varying in size from small to med/large for you.

Another awesome idea I have heard spoken of, but not seen (or searched for) is a tank full of Damsels. Only issue would be re-homing if you ever shut the tank down.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
hahaha yeah, that came with the tank, thought I do the right thing and keep it on there. Besides, I kinda like it :)

I will certainly be searching for some free/cheap BTA's fairly soon as I'll want to have as many in there settled and splitting before the clowns get anywhere near the tank. That being said, that will be a while off yet as 30 clowns isn't a cheap exercise!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Geeze Sam, all I can say is you have a very understanding wife! :p
She is worse than me mate, wants me to start work on the 14x4x3 room divider tank now (has since the setup day of the 6x2.5x2....) I just don't have the cash to do it the way I want to do it yet, so it will have to wait. A tank like that, you don't want to make many compromises on!