Tank Journal Archive

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Something Looks A Little Different Today...
Well I am trying to be patient. :) Day six since getting the tank wet. Think the salmon and fish food (flakes/pellets) I have been "feeding" the tank must have some sort of special anti-breakdown properties. Tested for ammonia on day 4 for the first time, expecting to see at least some measurable amount, but nada. Finally, tested today and I have somewhere between undetectable and 0.25 using my Sera kit :)

So, I have been spending my sporadic spare time on getting the rest of my ducks in a row. Priority one the last few days has been to sort out my cladding and get to the point where I could put away a lot of the tools I have been using for the project (that have been piling up in my dining room).

I am not naturally very handy on the tools, but with sufficient planning I can normally work out a solution. The competing factors in cladding the stand were:

* need to clad two sides of the tank
* cost
* some of the timber in the base stand not quite square, so how to maximise chance of all the cladding lining up
* function - easy access
* form/aesthetics - look good and match the room

Time was spent researching how others had clad their own stand and/or added doors. Time was spent trolling the timber section at Bunnings looking at MDF and ply. Worry was that the base materials were adding up in cost and there was no guarantee that with my meagre skills I could get it all looking good and working good.

Then I had a brainwave, at least for me. IKEA sell modular kitchens. If I could find the right size pre-made doors, I would have cladding with an excellent look and finish and possibly even have doors that could open in the conventional way! Logged onto the IKEA site. First thing I see? A splash ad - Would you like to buy some kitchen doors, on sale for $5!!!!!!! :D Fingers crossed....any in the right size, in a colour and finish that I liked?

Found some. Went to IKEA and came back with......16 doors in three different colours and finishes. I knew the one I liked the best, but needed to have a look at them in the room and ask my wife.

So, without further ado, here is what I came up with after a few hours of mucking around. Total cost? $5 x 4 for the doors + $11 for timber + $4 for screws + $7.50 for misc hardware = $42.50. Gotta be happy with that. :p

From this:
ai18.photobucket.com_albums_b137_jshowyin_Fish_20Pics_20__20Shcdb20f1794977f710b6ceccfea13c2ea.jpg

To This!
ai18.photobucket.com_albums_b137_jshowyin_Fish_20Pics_20__20Sh5385c8b6a40489858990302afb8bc9d2.jpg

If you are still reading, thanks. The details:

* the doors I ended up keeping are high gloss red doors with stainless steel coloured trim/sides. The protective plastic wrap is still on the doors in the above pic - will look even better when removed.
* ideal function was going to be doors that swung open, but I decided to prioritise form in this case, ie. maximise chances of everything lining up nicely.
* in the before pic you will see the two new horizontal pieces of timber I added recently (the ones with the six screws). They were added to give me two surfaces that were in the same vertical plane - new timber and the bottom-most horizontal timber. New pieces of timber were sanded smooth before painting and nice and square and level.
* after thinking through a few options, including the use of magnets to hold things in place, I came up with a plan that I thought was most likely to succeed --> horizontal pieces of timber were epoxied to the back of the doors and the doors were hung from the new horizontal timbers that I added. Benefits - I knew they would be square and level, much easier to get the doors all aligned. Disadvantages - the doors were going to sit a bit further away from the tank than was aesthetically optimal, but I had been aware of this likelihood for a while and was OK with it.
* worked like a charm. As a unexpected bonus, the weight of the doors actually keeps them sitting fairly firmly on their perches. Revisited the magnet idea to hold them on a little tighter, while still keeping them easy to remove. Ended up opting for an old school option - a little more work to remove the doors now, but much less chance of them accidentally falling off.
ai18.photobucket.com_albums_b137_jshowyin_Fish_20Pics_20__20Shc3af2cc48deca36db2e1391dceb47a53.jpg

One last project for the week. Built my eggcrate structure for the fuge section of my sump. After much consideration, going to try something that I hope will result in long term success for my tank - a duplex system. On top of this eggrate structure will be removable baskets of rock rubble that I hope will become a pod metropolis. On top of this will be a relatively thin layer of macro algae - max surface area for lighting, min depth to reduce die-off. The lower section will be a low flow/low light benthic zone.

ai18.photobucket.com_albums_b137_jshowyin_Fish_20Pics_20__20Sh7b5f4bf5a13e1f41c1a22d2029e7cfba.jpg

Now, just need to work on my patience and wait for my tank to mature.

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
I am not naturally very handy on the tools, but with sufficient planning I can normally work out a solution.
I get this.

Myself, not very handy - but without option, it's amazing what you can do (and very well) if you spend the time to figure out how best not to ruin something.

Awesome job.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
That is just awesome! Well done :DIt looks super clean and for a great price.

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
Re: cycle, exactly how much salmon/fish food are you adding? Hm... kinda odd that you are not picking up more ammonia.

And you did start with base rock/dry sand right?

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Thanks slin, Schneke and Buddy for your positive comments and for taking the time to make them. :)

Played around some more with removing and replacing the doors - think it is going to work well. will also be nice to see the red gloss pop when I eventually take the protective film off the doors.

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Re: cycle, exactly how much salmon/fish food are you adding? Hm... kinda odd that you are not picking up more ammonia.

And you did start with base rock/dry sand right?
Started with a small piece of raw salmon, a little bigger than a 10 cent coin. Been feeding a small pinch of flake or a couple of pellets each day since then.

Started with new calgrit for the substrate, mostly base rock and one piece of LR from my sump.

Not sure why I am not seeing higher levels yet. Might have a faulty test kit - havent used dince setting up last tank, which was quite a while ago? Open to any suggestions, though I would guess the ultimate answer will be.... Be patient. :p

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Sometimes ammonia can just take a while. It will come eventually, don't worry. Before you know it the cycle will just fly past!

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
Started with a small piece of raw salmon, a little bigger than a 10 cent coin. Been feeding a small pinch of flake or a couple of pellets each day since then.

Started with new calgrit for the substrate, mostly base rock and one piece of LR from my sump.

Not sure why I am not seeing higher levels yet. Might have a faulty test kit - havent used dince setting up last tank, which was quite a while ago? Open to any suggestions, though I would guess the ultimate answer will be.... Be patient. :p
When I cycled my aquarium, I was adding like 15grams of foodstuff per 10 gallons to get it going. I am sure less would be okay, but given that your thing is like 132 gallons, I think you should try to add more. Like, a lot more. Just go a bit crazy even. :) 200 grams of seafood is my recommendation. I like to puree it to distribute evenly all throughout the tank. :) Try that and see what happens. :D

E

ezza

Just pee in it. Guaranteed ammonia.

I have the red door in my kitchen (just one). Nice choice.

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Just pee in it. Guaranteed ammonia.
Thanks for all the tips on cycling. Never thought about doing # 1s in the tank everyday!

Such low ammonia readings had me wondering whether my test kit was faulty or expired, which led me to think of the other test kits I have. Decided I would test for Nitrates on a bit of a whim. Well, now I am confused!

I have 2.5 - 5ppm nitrates according to my relatively new Salifert test kit (low range test viewed through side of vial)! Would love to be this far along in my cycle, but having a bit of trouble believing it. Any thoughts?

Setup/process so far is as follows:

* 90x90x46cm display tank with 60x60x35cm sump for a total of approx 450L

* 8 days since tank got wet

* 20kg of new Calgrit as substrate, approx 2-4cm deep in DT

* approx 9-12kg of base rock in DT, one 1kg piece of LR from my existing sump in the new sump alongside a new 20x20x10cm Marine Pure block

* small piece of raw salmon (slightly bigger than a 10 cent coin) put in tank on first night + daily feeding of small pinch of flakes/pellets

* tested for ammonia on day 4 with a Sera kit - none detected. Tested again on day 6 - seemed to show slightly more than 0 on the colour chart, but not the colour of 0.25

* tested for nitrates on day 8 --> 2.5 - 5ppm nitrates detected

As I said, would love to be this far along in my cycle, but having a bit of trouble believing it. Any thoughts or advice on what you believe is happening would be appreciated.

N.B. Even if I have gone through the first phases of the cycle in record time I still intend to take it slow and be patient. Will wait for the diatom/cyano/algae stages and add CUC and macro etc at what I hope are the right points of time to help keep the algae under control. Then in a couple more weeks the slow intro of existing coral and fish over time.

jart

Apr 10, 2015
That looks impressive. How tall is ur cabinet??
Thanks for the comment. From floor to the bottom of the tank is 91cm (90cm for the stand, plus 1cm of rubber mat). The IKEA doors I used are 92cm tall and about 3cm off the ground. Hope this answers your question.

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
It is possible that you may have skipped any readable ammonia, if at all. Remember, if you don't really add that much food into the tank, then the amount of ammonia produced from it may all be handled before you actually measure anything. And nitrites too, perhaps.

Hm... try testing your filtrative capacity and see how it goes.

That will provide a definitive answer. If you want to be sure that your test kits are working, add some organics into a separate small container with no sort of filtration at all, and see if you can measure any ammonia in there. If you can't, then you'd know that the kits are faulty. If you can, then it probably isn't.

E

ezza

It is possible that you may have skipped any readable ammonia, if at all. Remember, if you don't really add that much food into the tank, then the amount of ammonia produced from it may all be handled before you actually measure anything. And nitrites too, perhaps.

Hm... try testing your filtrative capacity and see how it goes.

That will provide a definitive answer. If you want to be sure that your test kits are working, add some organics into a separate small container with no sort of filtration at all, and see if you can measure any ammonia in there. If you can't, then you'd know that the kits are faulty. If you can, then it probably isn't.
Roflmao. Dude. Srsly? You might want to quote something you didn't write!!! Especially if you want to be taken for anything other than an extremely psychopathic megalomaniac. No offense and everything Mr I'll-put-3-different-clowns-in-a-nano-to-try-to-breed-them. o_0

Btw.. "Filtrative" isn't really a word... Except by you on other forums and a couple of people with papers on Google.

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
Roflmao. Dude. Srsly? You might want to quote something you didn't write!!! Especially if you want to be taken for anything other than an extremely psychopathic megalomaniac. No offense and everything Mr I'll-put-3-different-clowns-in-a-nano-to-try-to-breed-them. o_0

Btw.. "Filtrative" isn't really a word... Except by you on other forums and a couple of people with papers on Google.
I can just retype everything instead of linking it? Would that help? Yeah I am sorry for using my own stuff I guess, I didn't know I was not allowed to say what I thought and had to use what other people have written instead. Apparently that's a bad thing now.

On a side note, why are you so... I dunno, peeved off all the time? Chillax, it's a hobby, everyone's just trying to help.

P.S. Please do enlighten me as to how 'filtrative' is not a word if it is commonly used... https://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?hl=en&q=filtrative&btnG=&as_sdt=1,5&as_sdtp=

Anyways, to keep on topic, yeah I did write that, and I dunno how you might take my suggestion, but it just seems logical. If one wants to be sure a test kit is working, then test something that definitely would have say, ammonia for example. You may of course want to just let foodstuff sit in a container for a while of course, for plenty of ammonia to be released, and so that when you are taking out water, there's less foodstuff floating around in it and making it hard to visualize the color.

And then yeah, test your filtration capacity and see where you are at. If you add a bunch of food and your ammonia and stuff then spikes, it means that it's not quite there. But if you add a bunch of food and there's no spike, then that's great news!