Tank Journal Archive

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Something To Do :)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
So I knocked this up with the help of a glazier mate of mine it's a 70x20x20 diy tank I made it this size so that once I added a 10cm rear "sump" the display would be 2 ft long for ease Of lighting choices :) it's designed to be viewed from the side as a long low slung Zoa dominant reef :) it's already got chips and scratches and the silicon jobs pretty average but as the title states this is just something to do .... Nearly everything so far was either free (glass) or I already had sitting at home (pump,heater and acrylic) .... So far total cost is $20 for the black silicon for the sump section

Last edited:

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Jus
this will look awesome, are you just using the return pump for flow or adding something else?
the return it it's only about 25L so it hits about 40x turnover already going I see if I can get three bits of airline in the return to direct flow in diff directions tho

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
It's a bit of a late tip now, but if you want to finish the edges on a homemade tank like that you can use a sharpening stone - those block ones usually with a fine side and a courser side.
I've used the fine side of one (keep wet with water) to get a reasonably good smooth polish to the edge and take that sharp edge off also. The long block allows good smooth straight edge.
Worth trying.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Turns out these shitty weir holes can't handle even CLOSE to the 1000lph pump lol

Any ideas as to how to get them bigger and keep them nice and neat :/
image.jpg

CodyS

Sep 22, 2012
Hit me up via pm and I can probably laser cut you up a new one :)

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
I'll try and mod this one first man as I wanna get it wet ASAP :) but if I screw it up I'll let you know lol

CodyS

Sep 22, 2012
I'll try and mod this one first man as I wanna get it wet ASAP :) but if I screw it up I'll let you know lol
No dramas, your best bet would be a trim router+jig. Bit of a tight spot though.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Get a pair of side cutters and just cut out a couple of sections? That's what I would do but probably not neat enough for some.