Reef Discussion

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
I got mine from Peter. Nice easy transaction, and awesome filter. Came with everything I needed down to the thread seal tape.
Glad to see he's happy to take care of The Reefuge members as well.
I'm thinking of getting one. Do you run RO or RODI? Also was there much involved in installation? Did you do it yourself?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I'm thinking of getting one. Do you run RO or RODI? Also was there much involved in installation? Did you do it yourself?
I went for RO/DI - worth going the whole hog I reckon, especially if it's a dedicated unit (some people buy them to use for getting RO to drink, etc. as well) - so if you don't have any other use for it, might as well have the DI bit.

Installation was dead simple - adaptor that hooked into the washing machine tap line with a john guest valve sticking out of it... stick a bit of thread tape on, tighten, stick hose onto valve, run to unit. Tighten a few bits up, and all done. No sweat, not real physical effort involved, and most of all - all the bloody bits I needed to do it came in the box ;)

(and for that glowing recommendation, I'm hoping for a bloody great discount on my next set of filters that are long overdue... so overdue they don't even have my current address to keep sending me reminders! :p:D:p).

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
For many years I've relied on our town water for top up. We are in a small dairy town that draws and treats river water. Lately we've had so much rain that I suspect the total dissolved solids are way up and that a lot of fertiliser is washing in to the river. Resulting in a constant battle with cynobacteria and diatoms.

So I contacted PSI water filters yesterday with a few questions and first thing this morning I had my answers. Great service and I am saving for a filter from PSI right now. Should be ordering in about 4 weeks. The prices are good but more importantly to me, the guy has a good reputation and obviously thinks service is important.:D

I will also be using the unit to fill 25 litre water bottles for our cooler.

E

ezza

I've been considering this too... Googling brought me right back to you lot :p you're becoming a bit like a family to me!

I'm tossing up the drinkable unit. There has always been a 2 stage under sink filtration system in my kitchen, but i don't really trust it. I buy the best filters I can from bunnings, but have to replace them every 6 months. We have fairly poor water at times, it often flows with colour to it, it smells and tastes funny. A year ago cryptosporidium was found in it. Unfortunate for us as my house is one of the closest to the water and holding our supply.

I think it makes sense to replace the under sink kit with a drinkable RO DI filtration unit. It would be easily accessible for my new tank too.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
are the drinkable ones suitable for tanks? I thought the filters that make the water 'suitable' for tanks make the water 'unsafe' for drinking?

The filter I have

"4 Stage Reverse Osmosis with DI and TDS meter, Laundry system This is a marine aquarium reverse osmosis system and is not suitable for drinking water as it is too pure."

deediro

Jan 19, 2013
Roxburgh Park
I think there's an option in some of the filters for a bypass that lets you have RO only which is fine for drinking. You then turn the bypass off and it goes through DI as well - for your tank :)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
My filter has a drinking water tap. The drinking side is ro water and the tank side is the ro/di water.

E

ezza

Yup. I'm thinking that I could move the current kitchen system into the bathroom so I don't have to taste the water when brushing teeth or needing a night time drink. Then nest all the RO/DI drinkable in the kitchen. .

girlz0r

Apr 17, 2013
@callum@psi just wondering if there's such thing as a timer for the system? Eg. Set the system to go for 2 hours then turn off by itself?

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
What, and ruin the fun of continually forgetting the filter and having water everywhere :p
Thats why I put the drum in the laundry sink while it fills - took me a few good overflows to finally learn my lesson.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
I think the only problem I'd have is the 1st 5 or so minutes having a TDS reading. I'd have to run 2, just so I'm only saving 0TDS filtered water

girlz0r

Apr 17, 2013
I am sure that if we really wanted too we could hook an ordinary tap timer up to our systems. Something like this

asunshoweronline.com.au_image_cache_data_products_TC_TAPORB240_500x500.jpg
This sounds magical.
LOL we put our drums in the laundry sink too, but somehow the 80L drum doesn't fit too well. Where would that timer fit, Obviously before the filtration unit right? Or does it fit onto the laundry tap itself.
On their page they've got a Float valve for $30... does this = float switch? :D @David had the idea of using a float switch and using some sort of solenoid.. somehow. I think tunze does one for $300!!??!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
these guys are great. just got a new laundry line to hook my RO up to replace the leaky one that came with my unit. was delivered in under 3 days from payment