Tank Journal Archive

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
Species List - 30th September 2013
Basic List of Fish & Corals:

• True Percula Clownfish
  • Orange Lined Cardinal (RIP - Clown was too aggressive)
  • Tiny Brown and Pink Sea Cucumber that hitchhiked in
  • Toxic Green Torch
  • Purple Star Polyps
  • Fluro Orange Short Tentacle Fungia
  • Green Short Tentacle Fungia
  • Small 8 head Acan colony (only very small, red and purple/blue)
  • Green/Pink Open Brain Trachy + another small green/red one
  • 2 x small colonies of Zoas (purple/green x 14 and 4 x blue/red/purple (the 2nd ones came as hitchikers on another piece of coral and I was given them, they should be impressive as they spread)
  • Blue/Purple Squammy Clam (Grumpy Clam as I have nicknamed it - it HATES being fed when it's not hungry and will blow away any food it doesn't want)
  • Couple of little scoly-type buttons (Red/Green and Blue/Green)
  • Green Aussie War Coral
  • Green/Pink and another White/Pink Bubble Tip Anemones (the white is obstructed from this shot)
  • Blasto Heads (4 small heads)
  • Magenta Carnation (newbie mistake - Bought as "Thistle" without realising it was the same thing)
  • Numerous blue/purple/orangey-red Morphs

Orange Fungia Plate:
    amedia.use.com_images_s_2_019741fb51998b983a36.jpg

Deep Green Fungia Plate:
    amedia.use.com_images_s_2_edefd0fe5fc42e4f79a4_1.jpg

Pink & Green Open Brain:
    amedia.use.com_images_s_2_a97db12fc6516ddf6592.jpg

Tridacna Squamosa (Grumpy Clam) + Blue/Purple Morph & Red/Green Button/Donut:
    amedia.use.com_images_s_2_5b704273af638154033b.jpg

Open Brain (Background) Green Fungia, Purple Morph & Blue/Green Button/Donut (it was
    Damaged when I bought it and it has recovered really well)
    amedia.use.com_images_s_2_31656486d9664dd42d71.jpg

Blasto (1 head got lost in the upgrade) with the Red/Green Donut/button in the background:
    amedia.use.com_images_s_2_e35cd0a9de1c44c837f2.jpg

Green with Pink Tips BTA just on Blue's:
    amedia.use.com_images_s_2_128f922992715d91f7e7.jpg

Another shot of the open brain. One of my fave's
    amedia.use.com_images_s_2_0db73d7b38760cff9667.jpg

Bit weird with the lighting, this was taken before I put the diffuser onto the Razor, it was colour banding pretty badly and I didn't get a great shot. These little purple star's are cute.
    amedia.use.com_images_s_2_fa58dff89ee826fd05de.jpg

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Do you still have the Thistle coral? A little trick I learned recently is if it slumps, mount it upside down in a place where it gets good flow so it doesn't have to hold its own weight up. That can lengthen its life in the tank significantly. Other than that, the key to keeping them is feeding, which is the tricky part (feeding enough), but there are more and more stories lately of people keeping them alive for 4 - 24 months.

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
I love "up" too :-)

I've had this little clam for a few months now and it's doing really well. I make fun of it when it blows the food off when I feed the tank. It doesn't appreciate being target fed, but has already grown 5mm upwards since i've had it (about to start a second ridge/ring since I've had it)

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
Grumpy actually has a friend. I will get a photo one day when I get the right angle. I adopted a hitchhiking Cucumber (a little brown one) that has settled on the side of Grumpy's shell. It's only about the size of half a fingernail, but it seems happy there and gets it's feeders out when the lights go out and the mantle is retracted. They seem like a great pair.

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
I want grumpy! Beautiful clam...
I was originally really disappointed with my purchase. I ordered him in through my brother (who has an at-home business with marine fish, corals, LR and dry goods) and the stock list he got said that they were going to be blue. They are only blue when viewed from the top and purple from eye level. I was quite disappointed, but as it was only a 2" clam and $100 (family rates) I couldn't really complain.

It's been a great addition.