Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Stage 1 Complete - Renovation & Water Test
I spent a couple of hours dismantling the aquarium. LOTS of screws and wires later, I had it in pieces.

I'd already decided that the light wasn't going to cut it ... no idea how many watts, but I would be surprised if it was over 1W total.

The pump I was in two minds about. I liked its compact size and USB power, so intended to use it. But another test and the realisation that I had another small pump in stock with a bit more oomph made me ditch that too.

I kept the base but flipped it around. Had to hack the battery compartment out to get the tank to fit.

Black signwriters vinyl on the back and base, and around the back compartment. Then hacked the top rim to leave the tank itself 'rimless', and Bob's your uncle.

The pump is from Bunnings (the one I bought for the 'DIY ATO' I never got running), and the heater is from my Dymax IQ5 I used to run. Light is one of the clamps I sell, and the bulb is an old one I had laying around - a 5x 3W PAR30.

So total cost so far is $40, which is what the 'USB Desktop Aquarium' cost delivered from eBay. I could have got it cheaper from China but didn't want to wait for new year delivery.

photo_3.jpg
photo_4.jpg
photo_6.jpg
photo_5.jpg
photo_7.jpg
photo_10.jpg
photo_8.jpg
photo_9.jpg

Next for the saltwater, substrate and rock ...

Zander

Dec 30, 2013
what are you planning to keep in it? So many poor fish being crammed in these by teenage girls on youtube...