Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Looks nice,
what about acrylic? you can diy easy.

Thats my next adventure :)
i think acrylic has good and bad sides. easier to work with but at the same time scratches so damn easily. in saying that you can polish the scratches out tho!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
It would be nice if you could have a thin glass interior that was hardened to avoid the scratching. I have a friend who works in acrylic and he's offered to build me whatever size I want but I'm with you, the scratches on my 130s drive me to distraction and I only paid $200 each for them. If I dropped $1000 on a huge tank I'd be mad as hell about scratches.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
It would be nice if you could have a thin glass interior that was hardened to avoid the scratching. I have a friend who works in acrylic and he's offered to build me whatever size I want but I'm with you, the scratches on my 130s drive me to distraction and I only paid $200 each for them. If I dropped $1000 on a huge tank I'd be mad as hell about scratches.
i find glass to be fine if your careful! i only ever scratched my last starfire tank once over a couple of years that i had it!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I think the guy that had this 130D was an idiot. I think he used a angle grinder to clean the glass, lol.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Yea, but I don't think it's a great grade of glass. It's a damn shame because they're such great tanks for an all in one system.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I saw these as well and they look awesome! I can't wait to see costs or Australian release dates haha

Reactions: MTG

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I saw these as well and they look awesome! I can't wait to see costs or Australian release dates haha
Exactly what i was thinking!!! they do look very tidy and i dig the cabinet, i could go full custom aswell but i still havent seen any tank builders that make tanks to the quality i want (like the cades)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Exactly what i was thinking!!! they do look very tidy and i dig the cabinet, i could go full custom aswell but i still havent seen any tank builders that make tanks to the quality i want (like the cades)
I'd suggest Starfire Aquatics to you but he's in Melb so not much good for you but he does some bloody awesome and nice tanks!! :) I've always liked the Red Sea tanks, I was originally going to get a 130D lol glad I got the cade instead haha
If I were to do a small upgrade in future it would be a 2.5x2.5x2ft cube with an external coast to coast overflow :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
We hadn't had a reef tank in the better part of 10 years. I saw a Red Sea 130D on Craigslist for $200. Nah I thought, can't be, those tanks are a grand. So I emailed him and he said it wasn't a typo, the rest is history. Now we have 2 130Ds and the 57 rimless. Now the rimless bug has bitten us so we're upgrading to those. Those tanks look amazing, but you know those Red sea tanks are NOT going to be cheap.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Cade copies are terrible though lol if you're talking about the ones that come out of the same factory?? lol

Reactions: MTG