Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Stage 3 : Weir/overflow & Sump
Things are moving along now and i need to plan the overflow/sump.

I think of narrowed the overflow down to an oceanlife overflow system, My thoughts are that its very low profile and doesn't take up space in the display. It only requires two holes and should do what i need it to
http://www.naqua.com.au/collections/plumbing/products/oceanlife-overflow-system

Now the dilemma i have is making a small enough sump for the stand. the stands split down the middle in half, i could modify the stand and fit a bigger sump but i dont realy think i need to, that way i can keep the righthand side shelved with room for an auto doser and auto topup container later down the track.

Also want to incorporate a simple filter sock setup thats easier to change out and replace. saw a friend of mines tank recently and he had the water overflow into the socks rather then placing them under the drain pipe. pics to come!

Attachments

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Ok so the dimensions of the sump (maximum dimensions) are

270mm wide

360mm long

450mm tall (height)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Build your intake to the sump around the dimensions of pre made filter pads like this one

https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4796

Then you dont need filter socks
what method do you use to suspend the pad?
any examples of one setup using them?

and regarding you comment on your thread the cabinet has two sides second sides going to be auto doser with all chemicals and all that stuff including zeo. i think its better having two sides then knocking the middle wall down and making a larger sump. the sump doesent realy need to be to big imo

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
what method do you use to suspend the pad?
any examples of one setup using them?

and regarding you comment on your thread the cabinet has two sides second sides going to be auto doser with all chemicals and all that stuff including zeo. i think its better having two sides then knocking the middle wall down and making a larger sump. the sump doesent realy need to be to big imo
OMG 10,000 posts and you're asking these questions lmao....get 2 strips of glass put into the channel to hold up egg crate and then put the pads on top..

Similar to how cade has theirs set up but instead of it being between chambers it can be your first chamber like this

HL800_Sump.jpg

Here...give this to the tank builder lol

MTGs Sump.jpg

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
OMG 10,000 posts and you're asking these questions lmao....get 2 strips of glass put into the channel to hold up egg crate and then put the pads on top..

Similar to how cade has theirs set up but instead of it being between chambers it can be your first chamber like this

View attachment 46288

Here...give this to the tank builder lol

View attachment 46289
exactly what i was after :D that should work nicely! i could probably run skimmer and reactor in same chamber tho and double bubble trap on the return maybe?

Thanks @leodb89, helpful for those of us with <10,000 posts too!
Leo is the spawn of satan but at least he tells it how it is, i admire that :P

Lol sorry guys Matty knows im playing i guess i seem pretty rude otherwise :p
It would seem funny from someone that didn't know you. ive just learnt to embrace it haha!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
yeah i thnk i added too many baffles it was just an idea to give you a picture of what i was thinking without being vague and just showing the first chamber...i take the piss with you because you were the one giving me advise with @NiCd and several others when i started and you're asking questions you answered for me lol so ignore my ranting im just doing it to pay you out...the other thing you could do it this and instead of media you can do 3 Filter Socks but i think the sponge will be easier maintenance

MTGs Sump - Filter Sock Version.jpg

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
yeah i thnk i added too many baffles it was just an idea to give you a picture of what i was thinking without being vague and just showing the first chamber...i take the piss with you because you were the one giving me advise with @NiCd and several others when i started and you're asking questions you answered for me lol so ignore my ranting im just doing it to pay you out...the other thing you could do it this and instead of media you can do 3 Filter Socks but i think the sponge will be easier maintenance

View attachment 46290
i just like hearing fresh ideas. cant improve on what we know if your unwilling to try something new :D

The FS idea could work easily if its at the front of the cabinet and if i keep the return at the back. i have a few ideas buzzing around. with that mat that you linked me to it removes phosphate but doesent realy say how long it lasts? i know its not regenerative but i wonder if theres say problems with changing it every few months and only rinseing it in the meantime?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i just like hearing fresh ideas. cant improve on what we know if your unwilling to try something new :D

The FS idea could work easily if its at the front of the cabinet and if i keep the return at the back. i have a few ideas buzzing around. with that mat that you linked me to it removes phosphate but doesent realy say how long it lasts? i know its not regenerative but i wonder if theres say problems with changing it every few months and only rinseing it in the meantime?
I wasnt sending it to use the exact one more so just a point of reference on what i meant about a premade size that you can easily buy

CodyS

Sep 22, 2012
Hey Matt,

Forgive me if some of these q's have already been answered.

What skimmer/reactors/pumps are you planning on using? What are their footprints?

Why not go sockless and save yourself room?

If you are doing dosing chambers in the 2nd half of the stand would you do an AIO ATO/dosing chamber tank?

Are you thinking of making this from glass or acrylic?

I would consider acrylic as for a sump this size it might not be as cost prohibative as a larger one. It will also be lighter and can be threaded for PVC pipes etc making it cleaner and possibly easier to remove for maintenance.

What probes etc need to be mounted in it?

Cheers
Cody

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I wasnt sending it to use the exact one more so just a point of reference on what i meant about a premade size that you can easily buy
It does sound like a good idea tho especialy if it binds phos. I will have to do some research on the product and find out its life span and how much water it will let pass through it

@NiCd do you still use marine pure blocks?

Hey Matt,

Forgive me if some of these q's have already been answered.

What skimmer/reactors/pumps are you planning on using? What are their footprints?

Why not go sockless and save yourself room?

If you are doing dosing chambers in the 2nd half of the stand would you do an AIO ATO/dosing chamber tank?

Are you thinking of making this from glass or acrylic?

I would consider acrylic as for a sump this size it might not be as cost prohibative as a larger one. It will also be lighter and can be threaded for PVC pipes etc making it cleaner and possibly easier to remove for maintenance.

What probes etc need to be mounted in it?

Cheers
Cody
hey cody, i wont be mounting any probes at this stage

the reason for pre filtering the sump has two main advantages. firstly it filters crap out of the water column and secondly keeps the sump alot cleaner. i have had alot of tanks in the past sockless and when i ran a pre filter the water clarity was allways 2x as clear!

skimmer is a tunze 9004 so nice and small and i will also run an internal carbon reactor with its own dedicated pump next tot he skimmer for carbon most likely. or possibly with bio pellets

(i usually run the Zeovit system)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I still run the marine pure blocks, I have really minimal rock in the display so I like that reassurance

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
That setup will mean the drain pipe is not submerged and will be noisy? Also depending on what style overflow your going with, siphon may be difficult to get going this way?