Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I still run the marine pure blocks, I have really minimal rock in the display so I like that reassurance
is a good idea imo especially if you need to lift the skimmer up higher!

That setup will mean the drain pipe is not submerged and will be noisy? Also depending on what style overflow your going with, siphon may be difficult to get going this way?
ive had no issues running this in the past running a T pipe on the back also helps cut down sound if it is an issue. Syphon is no issue due to the pressure of the water pushing on an open pipe had similar setups in the past no dramas, (but that was just an open bulk head on the back no nice grill)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Yeah marine pure all the way...glad ads got me onto that stuff.

I did say you dont need to use that filter you can use a different one that has nothing in it lol...or you could use polyfilter or japanese mat stuff lol

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Yeah marine pure all the way...glad ads got me onto that stuff.

I did say you dont need to use that filter you can use a different one that has nothing in it lol...or you could use polyfilter or japanese mat stuff lol
going to have to look into all the options available these days. how much marine pure do you run?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Imported and distributed by the wholesale division of majestic, so usually anywhere that sells new life spectrum will also have it.

Came across these massive hunks of matrix like rocks in an undisclosed location that I tried but can't get all the air out of the damned things

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Imported and distributed by the wholesale division of majestic, so usually anywhere that sells new life spectrum will also have it.

Came across these massive hunks of matrix like rocks in an undisclosed location that I tried but can't get all the air out of the damned things
depending if i have room i will get some! Just got a reactor and its taking up more space in the sump now :D

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Is that how small of room you have to play with?
yep thats it! so have to make it logical. main reasons for that design is accessibility to skimmer and reactor, with return at the back (what you dont need to touch)

What do you think ?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Hmm how about this....

Cut out the back board of the stand, then sit the TLF reactors off the back of the sump protruding out and/or get a deltec MCE300 or 600 and its HOB and then add stuff to your sump...in saying this, Aquaristic in Beaconsfield, they have an SPS Cade HL600 or 800 and the sump literally only has a Tunze 9410 or something in that range and then the dosing pumps in a separate cabinet...there's literally nothing else no rowaphos or carbon or anything

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
im trying to keep everything contained in the sump to stop any leaks or water drips.
that reactor cant be mounted externaly its got the pump on the bottom. skimmer also has to be internal. i could externaly mount the return but that again opens up chances for leaks. the space i added up it all fits ok just have to workout how to do the mesh or filter sock design and how high to make the sump so it doesent flood with the power off

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
im trying to keep everything contained in the sump to stop any leaks or water drips.
that reactor cant be mounted externaly its got the pump on the bottom. skimmer also has to be internal. i could externaly mount the return but that again opens up chances for leaks. the space i added up it all fits ok just have to workout how to do the mesh or filter sock design and how high to make the sump so it doesent flood with the power off
you will need to work out how much water height will drop off then calculate it and make sure you have enough height for that volume in the sump

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
you will need to work out how much water height will drop off then calculate it and make sure you have enough height for that volume in the sump
yep thats the hard bit! i need to get this tank drilled overflow installed and test it see how much it drops once the power out to get an accurate idea. or i could just over do it and make the sump taller then it needs to be

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
you could mount that inside or outside the stand...didn't think of those. I feel matt has already purchased and ordered everything and he is just asking us for attention :P hurry up and get this thing wet can't wait to see it up and running

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Reactions: ajs