Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Would be cool to get some people post up some videos and pics of them to get more familiar with them

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
bribery! haha!. @leodb89 i think they def need some exposure it actually surprised me there not that expensive for what you get imo!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Holes are marked up for the overflow!

So far surprised of the quality of this ocean life overflow

Definitely a worthy option for nanos due to the small real estate loss in the tank!

Attachments

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Saw on FB you are almost ready to fill. Just to warn you it may be as noisy as hell to start with ... Takes some bedding in but gets there. Mine is already fairly quiet a week in. But first day or two it sounded like shit!

Thought I would warn you ;)

Reactions: MTG

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Saw on FB you are almost ready to fill. Just to warn you it may be as noisy as hell to start with ... Takes some bedding in but gets there. Mine is already fairly quiet a week in. But first day or two it sounded like shit!

Thought I would warn you ;)
thanks for the heads up! did you have your drain pipe submerged in the sump? and the rubber gaskets go on the outside of the tank right? :D

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
thanks for the heads up! did you have your drain pipe submerged in the sump? and the rubber gaskets go on the outside of the tank right? :D
Yep submerged and yep rubber rings on the outside!

I'll take a pic of my plumbing, I tried to angle the pipes to reduce splash but not sure it had a major impact. I also found that putting filter floss into the sock helps reduce the amount of air that gets sucked back up the pipe, and the return flow speed has a significant impact.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Yep submerged and yep rubber rings on the outside!

I'll take a pic of my plumbing, I tried to angle the pipes to reduce splash but not sure it had a major impact. I also found that putting filter floss into the sock helps reduce the amount of air that gets sucked back up the pipe, and the return flow speed has a significant impact.
mine doesent seem to be that noisy! barley much louder then my last dual stand weir only noise i get is when the water hits the water inside the pipe (i have the drain pipe submerged in water in the sump)

Let me know when you're ready to sell this one. ;)
you know is man haha what do you need :P

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
mine doesent seem to be that noisy! barley much louder then my last dual stand weir only noise i get is when the water hits the water inside the pipe (i have the drain pipe submerged in water in the sump)
Nice one! Does seem to be hit and miss but all quieten in the end.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Nice one! Does seem to be hit and miss but all quieten in the end.
hardest part i found was adapting the pipe, i couldnt use that spa hose so i ended up getting 32mm screw to female end pvc pipe and filed down the thread to fit the size of the drain pipe then used pvc glue to melt it together for a tight bond, for the return pipe i found the irrigation stuff at bunnings fit after i shoved a rod up the pipe with some glue to seal that and added a scew on barb fitting!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
hardest part i found was adapting the pipe, i couldnt use that spa hose so i ended up getting 32mm screw to female end pvc pipe and filed down the thread to fit the size of the drain pipe then used pvc glue to melt it together for a tight bond, for the return pipe i found the irrigation stuff at bunnings fit after i shoved a rod up the pipe with some glue to seal that and added a scew on barb fitting!

I don't know if it's available there or not but they make a super thick PVC glue that I absolutely love. Works wonderfully for just such issues.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I don't know if it's available there or not but they make a super thick PVC glue that I absolutely love. Works wonderfully for just such issues.
That's what I used: Weld On 795

at0_gstatic_com_images_156c5b8e07848f94ddbd8b4d5d3d1cc9._.jpg

I think 747 is the same but clear (I couldn't get a small tub of that so figured hte bright blue would be fine).

I also used it to help the return fit to the pump as the pipe was a bit loose. Applied a few layers of this to build up a 'rubber' buffer inside so the fit was snug. Worked well.

Reactions: MTG