Off-Topic

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Looks pretty good but given I have Netflix I probably won't be signing up for a paid account lol
That being said I'm going to sign up for the free trial to see what they have to offer

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I'm loving Stan. Just updated the Media Centre in the lounge room so it could cope with running in Full HD - as in.. actual 1080p HD, not bloody 720p upscaled like some streaming services try to provide.
Not a huge fan of the interface - to me the lay out is bloody awful, but it mostly works. Get the occasional glitch where the content stops streaming, but if I click back on the entry, it takes on about where it fell over.

A lot of what I've read suggests that it's going to flog Netflix (at least the AU watered down version) - the list of content due to be released soon is pretty appealing. Given the months free trial, you've got time to get in and see how it works. Hopefully in that time, they'll bring on more content to get people subscribing.
Has a bit of Aussie content as well; which you'd expect given it's part funded by Fairfax/Channel 9.

Hoping that these glitches with playback I've seen occasionally stop just so I can really enjoy the experience, but still so far so good. The coolest thing is that it's just a web based thing, so I can go to my partners place, log in on her laptop which is connected to the TV, and see where I'm up to watching Orphan Black.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Follow up to that - I emailed Stan support about the glitches. Email sent after I posted last - so in the evening. Got a response within an hour. Emailed back to respond to it, and got another response last night. Not sure that the advice will solve the problem (though shows understanding of my actual issue), but still, at least they're having a go.