Tank Journal Archive

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Stand Build
Seeing as this is a semi off topic, I might as well start a thread for the stand, more organized that way.
So, to summerise the last several posts, I've bought a stack of F17 timber, and have just finished cutting all of my lengths!
And have just glued part of the bracing! (I'll screw it later when my clamps are out of the way)
This stand will be over-built in my opinion, but it's better that it's too strong, than too weak.

Made from 90x35 F17 hardwood.
Screwed in with 14g batten screws, 50mm for small joins and 125mm for the bracing and main structural supports. Glue used is Selleys Liquid Nails Extra strength.

Stand will be finished with a nice dark stain and several lacquer coats :P Nice and shiney!
ai.imgur.com_rOD2jsT.jpg

Last edited:

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Looking good! I like watching cabinets and tanks come together as I have no idea how to make this sort of stuff.
Look, I'll be honest... I spent like a week reading threads and stealing ideas!
I have minimal skills, so I think you should give it a shot too! (Heck, it can't hurt!)

14G!!!!! far out, are you building a tank or something!!
14g gal and 12.5cm long ;P I'm much safer off over building this, than under.
Screws are cheap, cleaning up 1000L of water and glass.... not so much.

looking good mate .
BTW this is not off topic.
Was referring to my other "journal entry" of buying the tank, I'm hoping to keep that one as just cleaning/repair.
And this one for the stand, and later when it's ready to rumble, a setup entry :)

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
IT HAS LEGS!
It's also not level... but I'm hoping that that's just the ground, seeing as my cuts were all the same.
Ended up heading to bunnings and bought a 1050W hammer drill for around $70, absolute godsend.
Will place the remaining legs and braces tomorrow! Then I can work on the lower frame!
Will post pics tomorrow.

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Legs! With a brace resting in the middle for support
ai.imgur.com_uBiyAEH.jpg

And now with a full set of legs and full top braces
ai.imgur.com_pUABgq1.jpg

Now has bottom frame, and all bracing in!
Just have to place in the supports for the legs and we're good!
(Note, in this photo the stand is on its side)
ai.imgur.com_kQU3bnW.jpg

10pm now, so with that I've had to call it quits tonight.
Will finish the stand tomorrow, then skinning it will be next!

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Out by two screws -__- Lame. To bunnings tomorrow then?
Also, does anyone know of/have any experience with "Skinning" a stand?

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
So... bad news, I built the stand based on a tank that was 6x2.5x2.5
Where as the tank is about 2 or so cm wider than the stand was built...
Once I place the exterior facing on it though, ought to be okay.
ai.imgur.com_k4QZgrp.jpg

ai.imgur.com_qgzlBrg.jpg

On the plus side, I've got that fucker right side up now, and am ready to sand it, not sure what I'm going to skin it in though, somewhat feeling a lovely bamboo! http://www.plyco.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77&products_id=198

Last edited:

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Pro tip: Use 2 layers of exterior, 1 of cheap stuff and the second of good stuff that you can screw in, from the inside, thus there are no screw heads, or putties involved in your display sideings. It also allows you to compensate for these sorts of issues if you wanted to have the tank inset into the stand

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
Pro tip: Use 2 layers of exterior, 1 of cheap stuff and the second of good stuff that you can screw in, from the inside, thus there are no screw heads, or putties involved in your display sideings. It also allows you to compensate for these sorts of issues if you wanted to have the tank inset into the stand
You sir!! Are an academic and a scholar!
Does anyone know a huge amount of drilling glass?
I'm unsure if the glass on my tank is tempered or not, and I'd LOVE to not have to run a pipe up the back of the tank for the return.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
There is a thread in the DIY section. There is also a glass hole kit with guide, that is a reefuge resourse. What that means is that if someone asks for it, when your finished you ship if off to them

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
There is a thread in the DIY section. There is also a glass hole kit with guide, that is a reefuge resourse. What that means is that if someone asks for it, when your finished you ship if off to them
Sounds good, I'll check that out now, thanks! Just have to hope my tank isn't tempered then.

Weinie

Dec 4, 2013
only one way to find out! haha
WELL! according to my research, you can easily tell if you have polarized lenses on a pair of glasses or sunnies!
Lets you see the stress/black dots/circles in the glass!
I'll check this tomorrow morning and then work out on the planning/having ideas on where the return outlet will be.