Tank Journal Archive

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I suggest you perhaps get a 1000lt keg and fill it with Iced coffee. have that plumbed to the kitchen on tap.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Wanted to make a start on the stand after work on Saturday, bloody shitty weather made it a bit hard to go toy shopping at Bunnings tho. Wasn't going to risk a load of wet MDF :(

So Sunday morning rocks around & surprisingly I'm up by 9:30 as it's my one sleep-in day. Jen & I peddle on down to the big green shed & proceed to wander around the toy section. Nothing flash, 12mm concrete drill, a large drill chuck key, couple of steel rulers & a set square lol. Finally made it up to the timber section & walked away with what we needed.

3X 2400x1200x12 MFD for the cabinet roof
3X 2400x1200x16 MFD for the cabinet back wall
3X 2400x1200x18 MFD for the cabinet floor
IMAG2493.jpg

Moved some stuff around in the garage & started drawing lines & playing with power tools. Soon turned the garage floor into a mess of sawdust lol. After a bit I had the first 1800mm done. :)

IMAG2494.jpg

After a couple of IC's, a few more pencil lines, some more sawdust creation & the tick-toc of time passing, the floor was complete. A few bits to tidy up but 99% done.

IMAG2495.jpg

Had to stop for dinner, then then made a start on the back wall. Only got one section done then ran out of oomph so called it a day.

IMAG2498.jpg

So that's about where I'm up to for now. Will try & order the acrylic this week & get the MDF base work completed. Hopefully, come next weekend I can start with the acrylic sheet which will be the finishing touch. :)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Great work ken, a seeing a masterpiece come together before our own eyes is brilliant!
Thanks Sam, but I dunno about a master piece :eek

Well the long weekend has come & gone :(
Had all good intentions to get the acrylic part of the cabinet finished.
Instead, after dinner Saturday night someone decided to come home with a "Bucket of Shots" After 9 each & coming to the conclusion that they are absolutely dead set shit! We had the idea to crack a bottle of home made Grappa a little ole Italian mate gave me a few years ago lol. Sunday was a non event so bugger all got done over the weekend :D

Did manage to get all the MDF cut & mounted tho. Made a start on the Acrylic too.
IMAG2504.jpg

IMAG2505.jpg

IMAG2507.jpg

IMAG2508.jpg

IMAG2509.jpg

IMAG2514.jpg

I've used 6mm white acrylic & 18mm MDF on the floor giving a total base thickness of 24mm. That should be fine once the weight of the sump is spread out over the floor.
Used 4mm white acrylic & 16mm MDF on the back wall giving a total thickness of 20mm. That should be fine for anything we need to hang off the back.
Once all the acrylic is done, I haven't decided if I will seal all the joins with white silicone, or seal all the joins with acrylic glue.

So that's where the stand is up to tonight. Hopefully I will get the rest done this week so I can organise the foam for the sump. :)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Sen-bloody-sational mate, keep them updates coming. This thread is making my efforts of saving for the next tank that little bit easier to do :)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Love it Ken!! It's going to come up an absolute treat if you continue with this level of attention!! :D

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Thanks guy's,

My 2ic is back at work after 3 bloody months off, so I'm going to take a few days off next week.
Try & pick up some foam for under the sump & tank. Must remember to order it cut to size this week lol. Still lots to do & work out tho.
Hopefully this all comes together the way it has in my mind. o_0

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
The last few weeks have been pretty uneventful :(
Got the foam OK the other week, But waiting for other items to arrive so I can finish bit A off before moving onto bit B. Sitting around in the garage today I was thinking, I'm just wasting time, seems like things have come to a halt. So played around with the foam & roof for a bit.

Cut a bit of the normal density 50mm foam I'm using as insulation to see how that goes. This will be used all the way across the rear & top of the cabinet. The only place it won't be used is the last 2ft on the top. Have another use for that bit. :)
Foam insulation.jpg

10mm medium density foam for the sump has been cut & put aside.
Sump foam.jpg

Biggest job I got done today is the roof lining. The whole lot is held in place with clamps & timber supports so I could work my way along the cabinet. All of the ceiling will have to come out again as I need to tie a few straps around the top frame to get the thing inside the house. The panel closest to the camera is 80mm short of the rear wall, as all electrical bits will be in this last cabinet including computer, this will allow for some ventilation. There will be other vents & fans used, this is just one of the air flow ideas.
MDF  Roof fitted.jpg

That's about it for the cabinet at the moment. When more stuff turns up this week there will be more to then I have time to do it lol. Always the way huh.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Built the wall to separate wet sump area from electrical side also.
I used 10mm acrylic for the slides & wall.
The acrylic strip/slide on the floor & rear wall have been welded so if anything is split or floods, hopefully no water will make it in to the electrical side.

IMAG2744.jpg

IMAG2745.jpg

IMAG2746.jpg

IMAG2748.jpg

IMAG2747.jpg

IMAG2751.jpg