Reef Discussion

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Starfish
Hey guys. Is there a small starfish that I can buy that feeds on detritus? I have a nano tank so the smaller it is the better.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
firstly what snails do you have? starfish normaly stick to the glass and most varietys are quite large.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
that was the one I was thinking of donski, think it is fromia?

havent got snails, maybe in the future. Im not keen on hermits as from what I have seen these guys do it can be frustrating especially if LR isnt in tight. I had one in my brothers shop for a while and was for ever putting it back in the tank, they are great climbers!

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
firstly what snails do you have? starfish normaly stick to the glass and most varietys are quite large.
http://www.thereefuge.com/threads/nassarius-snail.245

I think he is an emo snail though. I thought he was dead for two days. Turns out he is alive, and hardly moving around. But I need something in there to make cleaning a little less work. Something that will eat all the left over food, etc. I have two hermit crabs too, I love those little guys, they are really funny to watch.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Fromia indica is relatively hardy (for a starfish) is bright orange and stays relatively small. This species will not knock over corals and feeds on detritus and algal films. Will also eat the occasional piece of fish food that the fish/Nassarius fail to find.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
If you do get one, make sure that your acclimatise them very slowly to your tank water - 1 hour + drip method is recommended. They are very sensitive to changes in water quality, especially salinity and PH, and will not survive if not acclimatised properly.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The Drip Method
The drip method is recommended for most saltwater fish and invertebrates because they can be more sensitive to pH, specific gravity and other water chemistry changes.
To do the drip method your going to need a bucket, a vegetable clip with a suction cup for holding the tube in the tank and a length of air pump tubing that is long enough to extend from your tank to the bucket. Place one end of the tube into the veggie clip and then place the veggie clip into your tank. Tie a knot in the tubing to regulate the amount of water flow coming out of your tank. Get the siphon going and place the other end of the tubing into the bag in the bucket. You'll want a slow drip, drip, drip going. Aim for drips every one to two seconds. If you're having troubles using the knot to regulate the drip rate, any type of strong clip should work. Vice-grips (locking pliers) or c-clamps would work as well.
How long you do the drip method depends on what your acclimating. If your doing this method for most freshwater species you should be ok doing it for an hour or so before introducing the fish to your tank. If you're doing this method on a saltwater invertebrate you may want to take 2 or 3 hours for this acclimation procedure. If you have a good pet shop and you trust their advice, ask for and follow their recommendations on the amount of time needed for acclimation.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
No problems.

I wouldn't necessarily put any of the water from the transport bag into your tank like they do in the video though - LFS often use copper based products in their fish systems. Whilst the water is heavily diluted with the drip method it is not worth the risk IMO.

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
No problem. I will see if they have any of these starfish at the LFS when I go today. I am not sure if I will buy one or not. I am soooo close to convincing the Mrs. to set up the chi.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Small fish can often be lifted out by hand, larger fish can be netted. I wouldn't be too concerned about it as the water from the traveling bag would have been heavily diluted but best to keep as much of it out of your tank as possible.
I now have a quarantine setup available but that story is best kept for another time, or another thread :D

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
what i do is i try do it when i need to add fresh water to the tank. i put the fish in a 9l bucket with all the fish water. i then use the drip method to fill the bucket to 9L over an hr. scoop the fish out using a net and then place in the tank and ditch the 9L of water, then i add the 9L of fresh salt water to the tank