Tank Journal Archive

Thmpar

Mar 2, 2013
Bendigo
Start Of New Tank.
Well it all started in the local LFS, I wanted to get a bigger tank for the bedroom.
One thing leads to another on the drive home it's suggested we go for a 6ft in the kitchen and merge the current 4ft into it,
Sounded good at first, until it was suggested by the better half may as well go biggest we can in that area.
So ordered an 8ft cabinet from Dave at deer park , which isn't my LFS but best one that's close.

Seeing as I have lots of ideas to put into this one I'm doing it slowly and carefully.
Hence I haven't ordered a tank yet as who really has room to store an 8ft tank out of the way and have kids running around.

image.jpg

I got this photo to confirm cabinet was ready for pick up.
Thanx Dave.

Have started to stain the cabinet and hood "australian jarrah".

Ken dropped in Sunday and left me a couple of very nice power panels. Thanx Ken.

image.jpg

About to order 16 of these to allow a very neat cable free sump area all cable will be ran behind a false back wall.

Sump size planning has started but very early at this stage.

Will bring more updates as I get time to do it.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
What a great idea , the fake back wall.
all those messy wires away from the rest of the mess.
Wish my misses would say something like that :(

BTW , I have missed you avatar, I haven't seen it around ?

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Sounding good Rob, :)

I thought about the fake wall, but with so many wires running behind if something goes hay wire it could be a problem getting it out to replace.
I'm tossing a few things around but found this Optiline trunking system from Clipsal. Haven't priced the system yet but could be worth a thought.

Thmpar

Mar 2, 2013
Bendigo
What a great idea , the fake back wall.
all those messy wires away from the rest of the mess.
Wish my misses would say something like that.

BTW , I have missed you avatar, I haven't seen it around ?
It's always what we guys want to hear isn't it. Need more length.

Nah been busy playing cars, stupid things we do.

Sounding good Rob, :)

I thought about the fake wall, but with so many wires running behind if something goes hay wire it could be a problem getting it out to replace.
I'm tossing a few things around but found this Optiline trunking system from Clipsal. Haven't priced the system yet but could be worth a thought.
I'm hoping running house power cable and having easily to able will get around that.

Have seen mine cable racks used but steel in the cabinet doesn't excite me.
Will ask my sparky about the other racks.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Sounds awesome, will tag along for the ride. Really that means Im excited for you and want to watch someone else spend money on cool aquarium stuff and very jealous for those who can expand and upgrade....

Whats the idea behind the individual power socket ver a few 6 or 8 way power boards ? This fixed wiring would need to run directly to your circuit boards as doubt you can come out into a flying lead and plug into a wall socket. The power boards also have the little 10A resettable fuse per board..

Thmpar

Mar 2, 2013
Bendigo
They will all be ran into the 2 power dist boards that will be mounted in the end of cabinet.
Just saves running leads along through the shelves that are going in.

Thmpar

Mar 2, 2013
Bendigo
Thinking about it overnight Ken, i can put all wiring into a bulkhead, at least wiring can be removed and replaced if it needs to be.