Reef Discussion

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Stc-1000 Controller Error
I woke up this morning to my controllers alarm tone and the screen said "EE". From looking online it seems to be a probe problem. The controller has been used every day for around 3 years now. The probe sits in a clam spot in the sump and doesn't appear to have any damage. Could the actual controller be dead?
I will check the resistance of the probe after work to make sure it's working.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Sorry can't help - mines never faulted. I can find the instruction manual but suspect it will say the same thing.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yep - EE means the connection to the probe is not right. Will have either pulled one or both of the leads out or it has cut in the probe lead. Should be easy fix :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Just out of interest, what type of temperature probe do these use? How is it waterproofed? And, how has it stood up to being in saltwater for 3 years?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
yep - EE means the connection to the probe is not right. Will have either pulled one or both of the leads out or it has cut in the probe lead. Should be easy fix :)
The only thing is that the unit and probe don't move at all, and the error randomly came up in the middle of the night. The probe is meant to be about 12K ohms at ~25 degrees so ill be testing that first.

Just out of interest, what type of temperature probe do these use? How is it waterproofed? And, how has it stood up to being in saltwater for 3 years?
Looks like a wire going in to a small (~10mm) cylinder that feels like rubber. Looks perfect to me but will have a proper look tonight.
aimgs.inkfrog.com_pix_Eglobal_QG0007301_12.jpg

There is a fair bit of info about them on brewing forums. Apparently this is a replacement but obviously the tip would need to be covered by something.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
So I switched it back on when I came home and it was randomly jumping between 70 and 80 degrees. I turned it off and back on and it was around 30 and then briefly displaced the correct temperature but then started jumping around again. For some reason the mulitmeter wasn't getting a reading for resistance.
All wires are connected properly in to the controller.
Dodgy probe?