Reef Discussion

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Great units - there are plenty of YouTube videos on how to wire them up. They fit perfectly into one of those black plastic boxes from Jaycar.
I always get 2 short extension cords from Bunnings and that gives you 2 sealed female and 1 sealed male plug - and use the leftover cord to wire it up.

53C826E6-9D66-465E-916C-D94E86189965.jpeg

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
No one (eBay sellers) seem to be able to answer my question re power plug ...

This STC-1000 is using cord right? not battery powered.

I asked them whether the thing has AU or China power plug and no one seems to be able to answer me LOL

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
If you’re not comfortable putting one together, I can put one together for you for the cost of the parts.
I’ve actually got a new spare one at the moment. I’ve made about half a dozen of them, so no problems.
Let me know.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
If you’re not comfortable putting one together, I can put one together for you for the cost of the parts.
I’ve actually got a new spare one at the moment. I’ve made about half a dozen of them, so no problems.
Let me know.
That would be great @daveH

How much all up including postage to NSW 2171?

So the idea of the cooling and heating part of it .. if I'm not mistaken is that ..when it hits certain temperature (cooler temp), it will switch the heating and when it hits (warmer temp), it will switch the cooling?

So the heating and cooling will be wired to an adapter, where I plug in the heater and the chiller ?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
If you look at the pic I posted, that box has three cords coming out the back. One is a male plug that you plug into your power, next is a female plug that you plug your chiller cord into, and the last is a female plug that your heater plugs into. The unit will automatically turn on or off whichever unit is needed to keep correct temp.
I usually make the 3 cords about 20cm long each and then you just plug your chiller and heater cords into them. And your power is normally an extension cord.
Let me know what temp you want it to run at and I’ll set it up. The usual is 25 deg with .3 deg variation.
I’ll send you a parts price list plus postage.
Cheers

amashun

Jan 14, 2018
They are indeed awesome, run on on every one of my tanks. However, they do need to be wired and ideally housed in something. If this concerns you, look into these new inkbird units which seem to be identical, but are plug and play:
i asked the seller about this unit whether it can be used for marine and the metal prob, here is the reply:
"Hi friend,
Thank you for your question ,
Yes you can.
will not corrode in half year ,but maybe it will after that ,then you can change the probe of it
Thanks
Regards,
May"

amashun

Jan 14, 2018
Great units - there are plenty of YouTube videos on how to wire them up. They fit perfectly into one of those black plastic boxes from Jaycar.
I always get 2 short extension cords from Bunnings and that gives you 2 sealed female and 1 sealed male plug - and use the leftover cord to wire it up.

View attachment 57521
Hi Dave, do you need to cut the box to fit in or the box is already pre-cut?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
i asked the seller about this unit whether it can be used for marine and the metal prob, here is the reply:
"Hi friend,
Thank you for your question ,
Yes you can.
will not corrode in half year ,but maybe it will after that ,then you can change the probe of it
Thanks
Regards,
May"
Yep, the metal probe is OK for a while, I’ve never seen one rust but I did manage to pick up a plastic coated one a while back.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Hi Dave, do you need to cut the box to fit in or the box is already pre-cut?
The hole needs to be cut in the Jiffy box to accommodate the unit. A dremel cuts it really easy. Plus three holes at the back for the cords and a small hole for the temp sensor.