Tank Journal Archive

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Stc1000 Temp Control
After a couple of warmish days in Geelong, I noticed on my tank monitor (whilst watching from work) that the little pico was warming up quicker than my larger Nano (no surprise really). Perfect excuse to play with some more gadgets!

Breakout the STC-1000 temperature controller, connect up to my heater and a huge (well, huge for the size of the tank!) fan. Now I don't need to trust the cheap AquaOne thermostat in that tiny little heater. The STC-1000 has its own temperature probe and will ensure that only the heater, the fan or neither is switched on at any one time.

OK, so, the pics! Well, first up I tried to mount the fan on the side quickly with some double sided tape. Not only did it look messy, it also became unstuck in about 30mins... Enter Rubber Band!!! Lol, ok, this isn't really all that neat, but will do till a find a more suitable sized fan and then I will mount properly and hide the wiring inside the frame :)

First Attempt:
aimageshack.us_a_img841_2489_fkkn.jpg

Current setup:
aimageshack.us_a_img823_7760_9fgm.jpg

The STC-1000 can be seen down the bottom right hand side of the back of the tank, this needs to be boxed up and mounted neatly too :)
Sam

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Nice work.

When you mount the STC I suggest you wire the heating and cooling relay's to power points so you can isolate either without re-programming. Eg. If you are doing a water change and it is going to expose your heaters, just flick the switch ;-)

Here is a (bad) pic of mine - it's the only photo I have. If you look closely you can see a single slimline PowerPoint for heating and the other side for cooling.

http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads/im-bored-lets-give-a-quick-update.7534/#post-110284

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Hey - cheers, not a bad idea! I have it wired to a couple of extension lead ends anyway so I can just unplug either the fan or the heater to really isolate if I want, but the power point idea is pretty neat!
Sam

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Seems to be doing well so far :) Mind you, the house is only 21 degrees at the moment, the fan might kick on later this arvo when we are due to hit 32....
graph.png