Tank Journal Archive

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Stocking - Fish/inverts
Yellow Tang.jpg

So the time has come! It's time to get some movement in this beast and although this build for me was really about the SPS, I am really excited to have some fish I have always wanted in my tank. This post is a combination Wishlist/Stocklist that I will work to keep updated as I slowing find what I am after. I am open to suggestions and recommendations as well so please feel free to comment!

Clean Up Crew:

Own
5x Cerith Snails (Cerithium sp.)
3x Narassius Snails (+2 that I am babysitting for a mates new tank)
5x Glass Shrimp - these guys are awesome!
2x Turbo Snails

Want
2x Strombus Snails - not sure is this is enough for a 4ft? Cerith's will also work in the sand
10x Turbo Snails - I have no plans to get Trocheus Snails so figured 10 would be a good start

Fish:

Own
None :(

Want
1x Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
I have always wanted a Yellow Tang as they are a beautiful eye catching fish. Being a constant grazer I love the way they interact in the tank. Plus the kids love them too!

1x Kole Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus)
Another Tang I have always wanted. Being a 4ft tank I am not 100% I will risk a second tang, but if I can't find a decent Yellow I may get a Kole instead. Or if convinced otherwise, I may get both.

2x Clown Fish (Ocellaris)
This is completely for my two little girls :p. One wants a Black and White, the other wants a Orange and White - who am I to say no to that :D

1x Six-Line Wrasse or Dragonet
This one will be a compromise. I really like the Six-Line and how it fits into the overall tank, but my wife has always wanted a Dragonet (Green Mandarin to be specific) and is keen to run a small copepod setup if needed. I don't mind them, but prefer the Six-Line and like that they keep Bristle worms in check. If I could confidently keep both, I would probably skip another bottom dweller.

3-4x Anthias
Again, something I have seen in setups and really enjoyed them. A beautiful free swimmer with lots of color, but I am not 100% sure if they are a good option as there are plenty of horror stories online of <50% survival rates. I am looking to them as a 'dither' type roll swimming in the top sections of the tank and giving the Tang(s) and Wrasse a bit of confidence to move freely and aren't a huge fan of Chromis etc.

1x Bottom dweller (possibly 2 if I can with the smaller species)
This is my toughest choice and I have wasted hours thinking about it. I don't have a huge amount of rock work and I have an open top tank so I am conscience of picking the right one. I love Blenny's having had a Lawnmower for a couple years and a Bicolour or similar would also be great. Gobies are another option, but I don't want something to compete with the Six-Line/Dragonet for food so they may not work out. I also love Hawkfish and the character they bring so I am a tad confused at the moment. This would be the last fish I add (excluding a Dragonet if I chose one) so I have a bit of time up my sleeve.

Other:

At this point I haven't considered anything else, but I guess this could change as the tank grows out.
- Urchins: Not a huge fan, as I only really like the larger Pencil Urchins
- Shrimp: Don't know if I will go beyond the Glass Shrimp
- Cucumbers: I must admit, I do like them but don't think I would risk it
- Starfish: I would like some small Brittle stars, not a fan of the bigger species
- Anemones: They look amazing, but would only be interested in a small sand dwelling one
- Hermits: I would only get hermits if the kids really wanted some. Hmm then again maybe not ;)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Strombus snails - I would add these once the tank is mature. One is plenty. They may need supplementary feeding if you get two. Get a male and a female for interests sake if you do though. Williamstown Aquarium seem to have them in stock at all times and a number to choose from.

From Dr Schell: "To sex the strombs, look at the anterior portion of the foot (on the front right hand side). If there is a distinct grove that runs to the front of the foot, you have a female, if not, then you have a male".

RE: Sixline or Dragonet - both of these fish have drawbacks to consider. The sixline overall is the easier of the two IMO. Amongst other challenges, dragonets are a major tax on the bioload of a tank as you do need to give them generous serves of frozen foods in very low flow as well as the pods they will find for themselves. I don't know of anyone that has kept one of these long term and had it die of old age. I know a rare few who have had their dragonets for a few years.

I wouldn't discourage you from keeping one, but you may not appreciate the constancy of them in the long term.

Bottom dweller - they are not a small fish but I love my Engineer Gobies, very peaceful and unobtrusive. Hardy and easy to care for. Long lived etc.

Hermit crabs - green tipped hermits are my favourite of the bunch, really cute and the kids can hold them too if they want to. I think teaching children how to handle animals with respect is a beautiful thing. Hands on all the way. On a practical level they do a great job of cleaning up excess food and will release larvae in the tank regularly too.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
i have 2 tangs (soon to be a third) and use to have a foxface(getting replaced soon) in my four foot, so i think you should be ok as long as your live rock has a lot of caves in it. i still may get killed by everyone for saying that tho :)

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Haha thanks @Andrew B, I am more thinking about long term space issues when the corals fill out. I would hate to have to rehome any fish the kids are attached to.

Had a great day today, so will have to post some picks of the new family members tomorrow once I get my camera out :dead

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You should be OK with a Yellow tang and a Kole tang if you introduce them at the same time. I do this with the lights very low to allow them to settle in for a few hours. As for the bottom dwellers, a shrimp goby and pistol shrimp would be a great addition, I love mine. The shrimp is in constant motion fixing the burrow and the gobies are unobtrusive for the most part. I don't know which ones are available down there, but the Yellow Watchman goby, Pink and blue watchman goby and Antenna gobies are very common here in the States.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I would only introduce a Tang once the tank has been established for a good 6 months or so when you have lots of natural food for it to eat. At that time I'd buy the Yellow Tang, let it settle in and later buy the Kole Tang.

This is the way I inadvertently went. My Yellow Tang was partly introduced to control the natural algae I had in the well established tank. I then introduced a twine spot Tang - fills a similar role to a Kole Tang - ie bristle tooth and very very quick - runs circles around a Yellow Tang. When I introduced the Twin Spot it was about one third the size of the Yellow Tang, which was not interested in it whatsoever and even now only gets pissed off with it when it gets in it's way, .

I do have issues with my Twin Spot Tang sparring with my Coral Beauty, but again, the Twin Spot runs circles around the Coral Beauty and actually looks like it's teasing the Coral Beauty and enticing it to spar.