Off-Topic

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Strangest Salad I've Ever Had...
Thought I'd share a pic of the strangest salad I've ever had. I would have preferred them to ease up on the violas a little as they overpowered the combo of flavours too much, but wouldn't omit them. Hazelnuts & fetta in a salad is REALLY yum!

Ingredients: Cucumber, water cress, hazelnuts, crumbled fetta, thinly sliced squash - drizzled with olive oil

313256_10150312693479273_3077111_n.jpg

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I have some edible seaweeds in my tank - it crosses my mind every time I look at them.... but then I look at what comes out of the skimmer and I change my mind :dead

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
It is OK to eat providing your not dosing any unsafe chems or meds. Very few tank additives are approved for use in aqua cultured food fish. I use food grade components for randy's recipe and have never dosed any meds. Skimate does not put me off, tank water is of high quality. Put it this way I would much prefer than to be eating those fresh water imported fish species in coles and woolies loaded with antibiotics.

I have several caulerpa species and all bar one taste pretty yuk, they are full of goo or just have disgusting texture etc.

I have one local cold water species like sea grapes but very fine, when you chew on it its like little balls of sea salt exploding in your mouth much like samphire. Very nice. I have been experimenting with it with a view to opening a pilot dam to utilize the waste water rather than have to cart it back to the sea all the time ;)

I had dinner at one of our customers house, entree was a soup like wakame soup only using ulva fresh from his fuge :)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I have several caulerpa species and all bar one taste pretty yuk, they are full of goo or just have disgusting texture etc
I have to ask! How did you go about taste testing your Caulerpa exactly?

I have one local cold water species like sea grapes but very fine, when you chew on it its like little balls of sea salt exploding in your mouth much like samphire. Very nice. I have been experimenting with it with a view to opening a pilot dam to utilize the waste water rather than have to cart it back to the sea all the time ;)
Sounds a little bit like that orange caviar they have on the outside of California Rolls sometimes

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
I have to ask! How did you go about taste testing your Caulerpa exactly?
That would be quite simple, simply ate a small sample. ;) I did to be sure read up first on caulerpa species and do the bush food test. Put a little on my tongue and test and spit out first. Then chew some and spit.

Much safer than samphire, never know when a dingo may have lifted his leg on it. I always test the samphire with the tongue first too I once picked up a similar species and had a disgusting sensation and taste for hours.

I think the red ball on sushi is caviar... salmon eggs.

Pete

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
I used to put dandelion leaves, nasturtium flowers and home-grown herbs in my salads. You can use the dried, ground nasturtium seeds instead of pepper corns too. I've never thought to eat anything out of either my fresh water or marine tanks, though it has crossed my mind before that some remote Hebridean communities used to harvest the local seaweeds to eat and that it might be interesting to try some. Though since reading Wrangy's Hong Kong thread a few minutes ago, then this one, its occurred to me that one could keep an edible marine tank.......*wanders off to think about mantis shrimp*