Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Stuffing! I Think 8 Is As Far As ....
In an effort to keep it up, finally got it to 8 dKh on salifert . Was tired of pumping out those 6.5 to 7 numbers....
After installing the new pump on the cal reactor , a week of tuning the alkalinity was always going to need doing.

Won't be going past 8 with this set up which begs the question tonight.... What are your alkalinity numbers?
What are you chasing for alkalinity these days?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I try to keep alk at 7-8 Zeovit method doesn't tolerate higher alk levels very well.
I don't know if it's zeovit but I find salinity to cause the major problems... I guess that's another topic.

I'm just trying to get that SPS growth that I had in the beginning.
Going back and looking at some record keeping should reveal a trend / pattern .

It's easy to get caught up in numbers but I guess it's what you are seeing in the visual feedback and knowing these signs that give us clues as to the condition of the coral.

Excuse the ramble, finally got to where I was about to ask the question...@Jordanf1

What signs do you see at higher alk than 8 with zeovit?
Is it burned tips?

Jordanf1

Dec 18, 2014
I don't know if it's zeovit but I find salinity to cause the major problems... I guess that's another topic.

I'm just trying to get that SPS growth that I had in the beginning.
Going back and looking at some record keeping should reveal a trend / pattern .

It's easy to get caught up in numbers but I guess it's what you are seeing in the visual feedback and knowing these signs that give us clues as to the condition of the coral.

Excuse the ramble, finally got to where I was about to ask the question...@Jordanf1

What signs do you see at higher alk than 8 with zeovit?
Is it burned tips?
Yep the tips got burnt. THat's Zeovit method really.....it's such a fine balance. It's good to be able to tinker with the supplements to try achieve the coloration, but I feel there's a smaller margin of error than if running a tank the 'traditional' way.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Yep- my zeolite reactor has just arrived... I agree , this balance and room for error just got finer.

I'll get some advice from the Zeo forum but set it to 360 liters flow through per hour and used 700 grams of zeolite on this tank

Jordanf1

Dec 18, 2014
Just be aware of the Zeostones in the chamber. I just found out that even with a mesh covering the plates the small stones still blocked them therefore decreasing the flow through the chamber......increased nutrients in my system! It never ends...always something working against you. Why did they have the small stones????Why?????