Tank Journal Archive

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Sump Planning
The sump design layout will be kept simple and will employ a 2 section configuration.

1st section will be for unprocessed water to enter and it will be where the skimmer resides. My twin 600 Watt Schego Titanium heaters will reside in the fist section and placed horizontally so they are continually sumberged and placed in an area of high flow.

2nd section will be for the return pumps and fluidised media reactors

as19.postimg.org_f1yfnxvxf_image.jpg

I have two options for mounting my skimmer pump. I think the second option is better as it allows the water to exit at the opposite end from the intake. This configuration does provide a longer overall footprint and I like it better.
as19.postimg.org_6jfss4an7_image.png

I would like to make the skimmer section baffe at 300mm in height. This will allow my skimmer to sit on a stand and run at it's ideal running height of 230mm. Working on some sizing at the moment, but the overall sump length will be 4 - 5 ft in length :cool:

Last edited:

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Hi Mate,
I have just ordered mine , I have a 3 section sump and another section for RO.
I have the same skimmer I think (BK DC 250).
First section of mine is 45cm X 50 with a 22cm depth cause I didn't want to stuff around with mounts.

Hope I haven't FUP.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Hi Mate,
I have just ordered mine , I have a 3 section sump and another section for RO.
I have the same skimmer I think (BK DC 250).
First section of mine is 45cm X 50 with a 22cm depth cause I didn't want to stuff around with mounts.

Hope I haven't FUP.
Thanks RobbieMVFC, the main reason for me choosing a higher baffle height and using a skimmer stand is so I can increase my overall water volume.

I will be doing water changes that will be done from the sump.

As you know, these skimmers are excellent. I know you will be getting the most out of yours :)

What are you doing as far as pre filter goes? Socks?
How will water go into the sock?
How quiet did you plan t make it?

If you consider having pre filter you can not go past the collection compartment and then onto a tray flowing into the socks. That way you have no noise and removing and replacing socks is super easy and hassle free. @192k

Last edited:

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
What are you doing as far as pre filter goes? Socks?
How will water go into the sock?
How quiet did you plan t make it?

If you consider having pre filter you can not go past the collection compartment and then onto a tray flowing into the socks. That way you have no noise and removing and replacing socks is super easy and hassle free. @192k
I won't be using filter socks or any form of prefilter, the only mechanical type of filtration will be my skimmer :D

I have found that in all my previous setups, there are certain areas that the detritus and mulm settles. I have plenty of in-tank circulation that should keep most of the particlate matter suspened so it is removed my the overflow.

The system will be fairly quiet as all 3 of the drain lines will be submerged. The plan is to have the 3 drain lines as close to the skimmer intake pump as possible without impeding the pump.

Last time I set up this equipment, the loudest piece of equipment was the ATI fans :eek

I won't be using filter socks or any form of prefilter, the only mechanical type of filtration will be my skimmer :D

I have found that in all my previous setups, there are certain areas that the detritus and mulm settles. I have plenty of in-tank circulation that should keep most of the particlate matter suspened so it is removed my the overflow.

The system will be fairly quiet as all 3 of the drain lines will be submerged. The plan is to have the 3 drain lines as close to the skimmer intake pump as possible without impeding the pump.

Last time I set up this equipment, the loudest piece of equipment was the ATI fans :eek
I'm watching mate... sound like a well planned setup. I can appreciate a well thought through idea and love seeing it come to fruition.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Here is the sump design I am happy with at the moment.

Skimmer section 600mm long x 450mm wide x 300mm high.

Bubble trap, panels 30mm apart, middle panel 30mm from the base.

Return section approx 850mm (+/- 10mm) long, 450mm wide and nominal running height will be 300mm.

Sump running height water volume: 202.5L (+/- 5%)

Sump holding capacity during power outage or return pump off:
Additional 101.25L (+/- 5%)
This is plenty for a large display and frag/holding tank that will be added in the future ;)

Total sump volume when full :
303.75L

Overall sump 1500mm long x 450mm wide x 450mm high, complete edge bracing around perimeter.

Image not to scale:
image.jpeg

I am still deciding on my return pump at the moment and this will determine if any bulkheads are placed in the return section:
External return pump - Bulkhead and drain

Internal return pump - no bulkhead or drain.

Decisions, decisions :D