Reef Discussion

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Sun Coral
I added a small sun coral about a week ago, thought I would see if I could have any luck with one.
I've been feeding it with Reef Roids and this morning it showed the first signs of opening.
It seems to be the part that is in the shade is trying to open more. Maybe I might move it into a bit more shade.
The only tips I found on keeping them successfully was not full light, on an angle to prevent detritus buildup, and some flow past them.
Anyone got any suggestions to help their survival?
IMG_0320.JPG

Trash

Jan 21, 2013
Most people have them placed on an underhang of the rockwork. If it gets a bit of light it's fine but not intense light. Basically turn the pumps off at the same time of day (near lights out) and temp with any sort of marine food. Over time, it will learn that this is feeding time and will start extending its tentacles out in anticipation of a good feed. Apparently it can take a few days / weeks but persist and it will work it out.

Cheers

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Yeah, if it helps yours is in pretty good nick compared to some that are sold, so it won't be hard to bring it back to full glory.

I had a dedicated tank some years back, so this feedback might be helpful, or may not.

Because there were so many, I fed nightly after lights out with pumps off, mainly frozen brine / mysis and occasionally cyclopeeze mixed in. The cyclopeeze helped with colour intensity and the frozen with growth. When lights were on, most colonies were in the open ie not under overhangs.

Two biggest problems were shrimp and worms. Shrimp would keep annoying the corals probing polyps for food, cleaners and peppermints were especially bad in this regard. But by far the biggest problem were worms. You may not have this issue as I basically had a tank monoculture going and no worm predators. The worms are unlikely to relocate for a solitary colony or two. But mine would relocate to be near colonies so that when feeding started they were there. The low flow made it even more conducive for them... Again, the shrimp will more likely be a pain in your case. If I ever repeat the experiment I would definitely add nocturnal worm predators and probably small wrasse during the day for better control. May even change the feeding itself.

HTH and enjoy your coral!

Angie