Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
T5
Hi I have added fluo fitting to one of my tanks that i am running maxspect razor on, to supplement it, and I have been reading a bit about what sort of T5 tubes to use in it, but of course I am now confused, can anyone please give me some advise

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
what fluro fitting did you add? Is it T5HO? How many bulbs? What colour temperature do you like your tank at and are you planning on running the t5 to add growth or colour?

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
what fluro fitting did you add? Is it T5HO? How many bulbs? What colour temperature do you like your tank at and are you planning on running the t5 to add growth or colour?
It only has 2 bulbs, 48 in, for growth and colour, running it 4-5 hours a day to supplement razor

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
2 x blue white Red Sea tubes would be a good launch pad into supplemental lighting although they may be white to our eyes the results are great IMO - I currently use them too.

I have tried Narva , ATI , KZ in the past and found RS perform perhaps even better than the fan boy brands mentioned.

If you have the cash grab 1 actinic and try the actinic and blue white tube together.
You will benefit from a lot of useful PAR and PUR from that combo as well.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I'm all about the Red Sea tubes as well. I've tried so many and they're one of the best, Geiseman is my second choice, then the super cheap ass Chinese bulbs.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
whats your combo?
Starting from the back....
Narva blue
ATI aquablue special
Red Sea actinic ( looks like Narva blue but pops the coral heaps)
ATI purple plus
ATI aquablue spech
Red Sea actinic
ATI aquablue spech
Red Sea reef spec blue white at the front.

Par monsters are aquablue special
That's if you can get them in Aus

ajkdark

Aug 17, 2014
T5's are a smaller diameter tube.

Not like a "normal" household fluorescent tube. Which is T8.

HO is high output.

Is it an aquarium fitting?

Last edited:

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
hehe yes, HO for high output. Ie, what aquarium fixtures are. I only ask as I have come across a few people trying to fit aquarium bulbs into some garage fixtures they picked up off gumtree cheap thinking they had worked this aquarium game out :P