Tank Journal Archive

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Lovely pieces. They were 3 ripper koles that came in on daves delivery.

Quick quiry, the arcrilic box you got the kole in. Purchased or made by yourself??
Yeah, t was a hard choice to make for me but I went with the smallest in the end! :)

From Dave lol bought it from him like a year ago and still loving it!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
My rule of thumb these days is anything I want, think I want or find intriguing I ask Dave if he can get it and what he thinks about it lol

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I'm glad you have someone there that knows what the hell they're doing. When we come down there, that's a shop I wanna see.

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
Y
My rule of thumb these days is anything I want, think I want or find intriguing I ask Dave if he can get it and what he thinks about it lol
Yep, I agree, can't wait to see my sump and tank arrive from Dave and his design.

Plus his designed for my phosphate and de nitrate reactor his putting together for me.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I'm glad you have someone there that knows what the hell they're doing. When we come down there, that's a shop I wanna see.
The man definitely knows what he's doing! Can't tell acro's apart to save himself haha but knows everything else and has some crazy awesome ideas floating around in his head! Lol
I'm with Sam, definitely the only store worth visiting if you want to have a really good chat to someone who knows there shit and just downright loves this hobby :)

jayellul

Sep 6, 2013
I blame you entirely for wanting a kole tang! :D

Well once it's growing like crazy (still recovering from the vermitid snail attack) I'm sure a piece can make it your way along with everyone else haha
My tank is riddled with cyano at the moment :'(

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
It's good to hear someone else gives a damn about the animals entrusted to their care. All too often I see profit raiders that could give 2 shits about anything but their bottom line. Here I see that WAY too often. 150km to the south there's a place that everyone raves about and I have no idea why. His tanks are rife with necrotic corals, there are dead fish in the systems and not just one or 2. The last time M and I were there I counted 17, 17 dead fish!!! And he only has 30 or so tanks plus his frag system. All they care about is turning stock over and that's not what this hobby is about. I remember the good old days when M and I would drive 150km north to a little town called Adamstown, Pa to buy stock and learn about the latest in reef keeping. I really miss those days.
I look at it this way and I think Dave does too, when you succeed, we succeed. I would rather sell you a few corals and fish and have them live then to have you keep replacing fish and corals because sooner or later you're going to get tired of it and leave the hobby. I did just that in the late 90s, fish were shit quality and there was no selection. It was 10 years before I got back into the hobby, I still had fish, 600,000 gallons of tilapia and catfish. Not exactly a reef tank, lol. Not much changed in the local scene, profit raiders still here and poor quality fish are still here which is why I decided to get back into importing but on a larger scale. When we open the retail side my fish will be top quality and I'll be able to sell them and know I did the right thing.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
My tank is riddled with cyano at the moment :'(
Dislike! Still not using the halide?

It's good to hear someone else gives a damn about the animals entrusted to their care. All too often I see profit raiders that could give 2 shits about anything but their bottom line. Here I see that WAY too often. 150km to the south there's a place that everyone raves about and I have no idea why. His tanks are rife with necrotic corals, there are dead fish in the systems and not just one or 2. The last time M and I were there I counted 17, 17 dead fish!!! And he only has 30 or so tanks plus his frag system. All they care about is turning stock over and that's not what this hobby is about. I remember the good old days when M and I would drive 150km north to a little town called Adamstown, Pa to buy stock and learn about the latest in reef keeping. I really miss those days.
I look at it this way and I think Dave does too, when you succeed, we succeed. I would rather sell you a few corals and fish and have them live then to have you keep replacing fish and corals because sooner or later you're going to get tired of it and leave the hobby. I did just that in the late 90s, fish were shit quality and there was no selection. It was 10 years before I got back into the hobby, I still had fish, 600,000 gallons of tilapia and catfish. Not exactly a reef tank, lol. Not much changed in the local scene, profit raiders still here and poor quality fish are still here which is why I decided to get back into importing but on a larger scale. When we open the retail side my fish will be top quality and I'll be able to sell them and know I did the right thing.
Dave is one of the most, if not the most, passionate owners I've ever spoken too. He loves everything about the hobby and really does his best to make sure that every single person is looked after, especially once you become a regular! I don't ever spend any less than an hour there because I get talking with Dave and we just chat about everything hobby related and he goes through some of the crazy ideas in his head as I love hearing them lol
He really does look after his fish and coral better than anyone. Won't sell fish that aren't eating, if you're not capable of keeping them, if they look marginally unhealthy. He's always kept new fish that have come in that I want for a week just because he likes to see them settle and eat and also because I ask because he has the ability to get them eating better than I do. The one thing that really surprises me is the amount of effort and money that he puts in to make sure that he gets some really high quality and rare fish in! Like the Clarion the other month :)

If you were to only visit one store in Vic there is no way it couldn't be Dave's!! lol

Some very very nice goodies there! I want some of those zoas mate! Wow!
Thanks mate :) Well they seem to be growing again so hopefully that means that there will be some of them start to appear a little more :)

Uglyman

Mar 9, 2012
Pyalong
Great pics and nice video man :cool:

I think a frag of that firetruck acro should go to someone who has never asked for a frag of it before (uglyman points at himself repeatedly).......so yeah just saying that's maybe what should happen ;)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Great pics and nice video man :cool:

I think a frag of that firetruck acro should go to someone who has never asked for a frag of it before (uglyman points at himself repeatedly).......so yeah just saying that's maybe what should happen ;)
Thanks Shane :D the compliments mean a lot!

haha you have showed some serious restraint, I'm impressed :p I wish this was growing a lot faster because it's a piece that everyone should really have! Maybe I keep it and do a once a year release of 2cm frags and charges $$$$ for the Firetruck Frags :p haha I don't think I'm capable of that, I'll just keep handing it out to everyone over time :)

He just sold another one, to me. I think you should ask for a commission :D
haha I'll tell him that I need a little something something on the side :p