Tank Journal Archive

ToxicMel

Jul 18, 2013
Hervey Bay
Tank And Stand So Far...
Tank currently being made :) John from Crystal Clear marine is making the tank, and has been great in helping me make up my mind on certain elements. Usually by saying "I'll take care of that bit". These are the first photos he has sent, and tbh after seeing the glass finally taking shape I couldn't stop grinning all night... Is that normal? lol
tank1.jpg
tank2.jpg

Making room for the tank! Yes, the boxing gloves were fun and essential!
aaarrrrgggghhhhh 035.JPG

The beginnings of the stand itself. My son is extremely helpful!
1450810_10151738298062050_1312843405_n.jpg

560122_10151736302937050_860861003_n.jpg

Last edited:

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Hmm I thought I had a lot of crap in my shed.... :eek
Looks like some serious business going on with the tank stand haha, I cant wait to see the tank in place!

ToxicMel

Jul 18, 2013
Hervey Bay
Hmm I thought I had a lot of crap in my shed.... :eek
Looks like some serious business going on with the tank stand haha, I cant wait to see the tank in place!
I did have a little joke with him regarding the shed. He replied he did "tidy up" before sending me the pics o_0

ToxicMel

Jul 18, 2013
Hervey Bay
Thanks Holly :) Still a few weeks till the tank will actually arrive as my tank builders current truck is slightly too short to transport it. He is currently also building a new tray on his new truck. lol. I'll be starting work on my sump this weekend!

ToxicMel

Jul 18, 2013
Hervey Bay
Well they do say ships never run smoothly, and this week I have discovered it. Tank wont be delivered this Saturday, due to my own mistake :( While working on the 5 foot sump we cracked the glass, so have now asked the tank builder to supply a sump as well. This pushes back delivery another week. In good news I did pic up a 5ft Ati T5 unit quite cheaply. I was originally planning to use LEDs, but ill give the T5s a go in the centre of the tank, and decide if i wish to purchase another unit to complete the look, or whether ill stick to LEDs either end. My current skimmer in the 4 foot holding tank also died last night, so the new skimmer is in that system now, but also managed to pick up another ATi skimmer secondhand! yay! other things I managed to score from the tank shutdown was a tunze 6305, and also a tunze ATO. Stand is almost complete, but with the extra week given i have a bit more time to complete it, as it was a bit of a mad rush already. Current pics of the tank below :)
tank4.jpg

tank3.jpg

ToxicMel

Jul 18, 2013
Hervey Bay
Okay, its been such a busy time, and i've honestly been slack in updating this journal... So, I might as well get stuck in on the updates :) The tank is now in and running!

As with most things, there were some hiccups. Luckily nothing huge.

1. The 5 foot tank I was planning to use as a sump got cracked by my son while we were scraping the old backing paint off. An urgent message later, and my fantastic tank builder was starting a new sump within the hour :) Plans were changed to a 4 x 2 sump, with basic compartments, including a media area to be filled with marine pure balls. I originally had planned to have the sump, ATO tank and chiller in the stand, however now plans have changed to plumb the chiller outside, so really could have gone with a 6 foot sump, which is now on the shopping list before the end of the year! aaarrrggghhhhh!
2. The tank was delivered a week late, as the truck bought just to fit it on, hadn't finished being fitted out, but it gave me an extra week to finish the stand :)
3. Change of lighting. I had been using a Maxspect R420R over the old 4 foot tank, and honestly I hummed and ha-ed continually over whether I wanted to fork out more than a grand on the new unit, then add supplimentary T5s down the length as I knew the R420R, just wouldnt be able to cut it with the width of the tank. Luckily i was able to snare a great deal on a 5 foot T5 ATi unit, which i planned to use with supplimental LEDs on either end.
4. I was offered a great deal from someone who wanted to buy the R420R, so jumped at it, unfortunately though... The timing of the tank being delayed, also resulted in my new LEDs also being delayed, and my 4 foot tank was left without a light for 4 days, and I lost my beautiful clam and some other really nice pieces of coral.
5. The fantastic ATi unit, was accidentally dunked in the old owners tank as they took it down! I ended up still purchasing the unit, even if I would just use it for parts, as the 4 brand new fans, and new tubes were still a bargain, but I will need to put new ballasts into the light. Plus some parts are still missing, but hopefully i should have them in the next 2 weeks to start working on it. However, I dont think im going to end up using the unit, so will probably fix it up, then either use it over a future frag tank?
6. During all of this happening, my ex turned back up on the scene (now gone again), and my father who was diagnosed with untreatable cancer in December suffered a huge stroke, and is now in Pallative care and i have been doing a lot of travelling to see him, so the tank has taken a bit of a backseat in setting up, and aquascaping etc.

But whats a new tank without issues right? So lets get some pictures happening!

Okay, this is the "bar" side of the stand as we were adding the tongue in grove, we insulated between the two panels to reduce noise in the living area.

IMG_2115[1].JPG

My son Jim is my greatest helper!
IMG_2170[1].JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

ToxicMel

Jul 18, 2013
Hervey Bay
New sump in place
IMG_2186[1].JPG
The tank is here!
IMG_2187[1].JPG

Carrying it in, so many thanks to the helpers, it was a tough job!
IMG_2191[1].JPG
IMG_2196[1].JPG

And finally in position! (Obligatory child/mermaid in the tank pic)
IMG_2202[1].JPG

Tank was filled and plumbed immediately, however, we werent able to use the plumbing or sump for 3 days till we were sure silicon and joins were cured. (The sump was finished being made the previous night)

ToxicMel

Jul 18, 2013
Hervey Bay
Still a lot of work to be done to finish her off and tidy things up...
1. Make doors for stand
2. Make hood/upper doors etc to cover in
3. replace part o the wall, and put in new door to office
4. insert bar :)
5. Install chiller, reactors etc

Had ordered new return pumps a month prior to tank being delivered, however they still havent arrived :( System currently running on one 10,000Ltr return, and unable to plumb in reactors, chiller etc till the new pumps arrive!

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Wow a lot of work has happened (and stress), must feel like you've climbed a mountain getting this up and running.

ToxicMel

Jul 18, 2013
Hervey Bay
Thanks Holly! Definately a lot of stress thats for sure. Luckily i have 2 wonderful kids at home who are just as insane as I am with all things marine! Plus they dont mind shimmying up and down the ladder several times a day either!

Although I am yet to con them into doing the water testing :( They dont mind the easy tests with the Hannas, but everything else gets a firm NO answer! Need some hints on getting kids into testing regularly for mummy? hee hee

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Thanks Holly! Definately a lot of stress thats for sure. Luckily i have 2 wonderful kids at home who are just as insane as I am with all things marine! Plus they dont mind shimmying up and down the ladder several times a day either!

Although I am yet to con them into doing the water testing :( They dont mind the easy tests with the Hannas, but everything else gets a firm NO answer! Need some hints on getting kids into testing regularly for mummy? hee hee
If they guess the value they get a prize?

ToxicMel

Jul 18, 2013
Hervey Bay
Aquascaping.... I have discovered I do NOT have an artistic bone in my body. Especially when hovering over a tank on a ladder, with putty and glue that is useless!!! Arrrggghhhh

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Share some pics we can help you with your scape, remember the scape is the foundation its how you stock it that makes or breaks the scape, I'm real guilty for being someone who goes I'll just add more here and there and another rock here and there and always try make the rock look like the shape I want it to look like once its fully stocked lol