Tank Journal Archive

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
Tank Build
So I'm quite new on here and value any input as I build.
I have been running out of makeshift tanks and sump system in the back room of my wife's business while my house was being built. I'm setting up some small scale aquaculture in Vietnam and I must say getting equiptment can be difficult but getting better but supplys especially for feeds is a nightmare. I currently have to culture all my own feeds and having my phyto culture crash has put a damper on that. So focus is on building a solid tank setup get the fish laying then get back to the feeds.
I am currently running 8 smallish tanks some with dividers to keep pairs seperate. I have harliquin shrimp which I have been working on raising already with quite good results, I have 5 pair of Banggai, 2 pair of occi clowns, one pair of Picasso and a pair of black snowflakes so as you can imagine it's
Getting a little crowded.

My new tanks and stands finally arrived over the weekend after being in order since November. The tanks had to be built in room and will be transferred to the stand later this week so piping can be done.
I have 4 blocks of marine pure seeding in my current tank array for 3 months now to reduce cycle time and another 2 blocks that will be added as excess to help handle the feed load.
I will be running a algae scrubber along with a large refugium which I have cheato and calurpa.
The tanks
The top 2 tanks are 2m X 50 X 40 and are divided into 10 smaller tanks each giving me a total of 20 brood stock tanks. They all
Have individual drains set at 30cm high and the dividers are 35cm allowing emergency overflow into each other in case of a drain blockage.
The sump is 2m X 50 X 50 and the refuge section is 55cm long
Total water volume should be roughly 900L
Cooling will be changed when funds permit to a titanium coil inverter ac unit but will be run with my hailea 1000bh
The current tanks will be re commissioned and used as fry tanks.
I will added a few pics of the start of the tank build from the weekend when I get back to my computer

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi @VietEric and :welcome

You an change your location to Vietnam if you wish - we welcome members from anywhere :)

I have managed to breed Banggai's and Occi's so I look forward to seeing pictures of your setup.

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
Thanks, well i am from Adelaide moved to Vietnam just 3 years ago.
i am hoping the banggai are easier than Harlequin shrimp. virtually no info or tank breed available. my record to date with them is 33days and i had my photo crash at 15days in, haven't had another attempt yet as the feed has not recovered.
this is my stand and my tanks just after they were all siliconed up yesterday.
also a shot of a 32day old harlequin shrimp, the black dot net to it is a stray brine shrimp egg for a size reference.
IMG_0184.jpg
IMG_0201.jpg
IMG_9235.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Nice work with the Harlequin :worship, I have managed to get to 12 days with Peppermint Shrimp - I want to try again with these soon.

Someones been drilling lots of holes - you didn't think about putting the hole in the front glass rather then the bottom?

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
I'm looking at getting some peppermints as there is a demand for them here and they are not available. I'm working on getting some over here at the moment. I'm told the peppermints are fare easier than the harlequins so I'm hoping they are not too much of a headache.
i did consider the drains at the back/front but in the end opted for the drain in the base. they will all go to a common drain pipe to the sump, well tank 1-3-5-7-9 will be joined and tank 2-4-6-8-10 will be joined making 4 drain pipes in total. virtually all hidden within the stand.
often this style setup has the top layer of tanks draining directly into the tank below it then the common drain to the sump so you only need to pump water to the top layer. i want to have every tank individual so i can shut off flow to just 1 tank if i need for cleaning or fry collection etc.

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
Will do Just waiting for the tank builders to come and move them into place so I can start the piping. Picked all the pvc up today ready.

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
So tonight I have started the piping dummy fit up. I got the bottom layer fitting and run out of pipe to do the top layer. Also run out of steam working in a room with little air circulation in +30c with high humidity.

So for anyone that was confused this is what my piping system looks like. Each layer will have 2 60mm drains one for odd tanks and one for even tanks. All bulkheads are 34mm then expand out for the common drain.
Need pipe hangers and to clean up he cuts and glue it still but it's basically how I imagined it would look.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I assume you won't be having any substrate in the tanks? Fish get spooked if they have light coming from the bottom - and spooked fish won't breed - but you have nothing under these tanks?

Is the stand fixed to the wall somehow?

I am a little nervous about how you have done your drains but I will leave that for another day :)

Sorry to ask so many questions :rolleyes

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
The tanks will get covered on the bottom also as I did the back but had no access to the base till now. Will be putting it on before the gluing phase of the piping.

The stand will be fixed to the wall but not until just before water testing so I can move it into place once all the pipes are fixed and the wiring is done.

What concerns about the piping?? They are emergency drains for each other. The internal dividers are lower than the outside edge of the tank so each tank can overflow into the ones beside it in case of a blockage, this is also why there are 2 main common drains instead of just 1.
They also will have pipe hangers holding them to the tank stand so will not be hanging free. Hope this covers the concerns and if not I'm interested to hear.

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
So I got some free time today to finish off my pipework. Well enough to be able to water test the tank. Just a few days of curing for the pvc cement and fill it with tap water to see if anything leaks.
All hangers etc are in place glued and bulkheads siliconed.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
All the piping fittings ball valves, silicon hangers pvc cement everything come to about $120aud
There is 8m of 60mm 4m of 34mm 8m of 21mm, 22x 21mm ball valves some oring couples 20x 34mm bulkheads and a damn lot of T elbows etc.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
All the piping fittings ball valves, silicon hangers pvc cement everything come to about $120aud
There is 8m of 60mm 4m of 34mm 8m of 21mm, 22x 21mm ball valves some oring couples 20x 34mm bulkheads and a damn lot of T elbows etc.
Fairly cheap compared to Australia - you would pay more than that for just the ball valves.

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
The tank is full of fresh water and no leaks so it's about ready for salt.
Only part that didn't go so well is my pump is simply not big enough to run both levels. So I will be changing to 2 pumps one for each level rather than one shared pump. Who would have thought a 6000L/h pump wouldn't cut it. So waiting for pay day to get a second pump

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
It's salt time.. Thought I would give u all a little laugh at how we transport the salt here...
image.jpeg
Yes that is a big bucket of salt cello taped to the back of a scooter..